Update AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4 KitKat OmniROM Custom Firmware
You can now update Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4 KitKat based OmniROM nightly firmware. OmniROM is based on AOSP Android 4.4 KitKat packing a lot of features. Many of them are also from the stock KitKat:
- Flippable quick settings
- DSP Manager enhancements
- Non-obtrusive incoming call notification
- Multi-window and multi workspace modes
- Per-app permissions and many more
Follow this guide to update your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 to OmniROM Android 4.4 KitKat Nightly.
Prerequisites before you update Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4 KitKat based OmniROM custom firmware:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that recovery tool like ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 carries more than 80% of charge.
Guide to update Galaxy S2 to Android 4.4 KitKat based OmniROM Nightlies custom firmware:
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your Galaxy smartphone.
- Disconnect the device from PC and turn your Galaxy S2 off.
- Now boot in to custom recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Down and the Power buttons simultaneously until Samsung logo shows up. Leave the keys for half a second and hold again. Use Volume keys to scroll and Power button to select - alternatively you can use Quick Boot app to reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- Now perform Nandroid backup of your current ROM: select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go back to main recovery menu after backup process is done - very important step to restore back to current OS.
- Perform data wiping tasks: select wipe data/factory reset > Yes. It will take a few minutes; once done, select wipe cache partition. Next tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe Dalvik cache data too.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the Android 4.4 Kit Kat based OmniROM nightly file copied earlier and select it. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait for the Android 4.4 ROM installation to be completed.
- Once installation process is finished successfully, repeat the above step but choose GApps file instead to install the Google apps package on your AT&T SGS2 i777.
- Return back to main recovery menu now and select reboot system now to boot up into the latest Android 4.4 KitKat OS. First boot may take a good few minutes.