Update Galaxy S2 T898 to Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM Custom ROM
You can now update your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-t898 to the latest Android 4.2.2 using the AvatarROM custom firmware. AvatarROM uses the CyanogenMod with MIUI themes, so you will be enjoying CM features with beautiful MIUI themes. Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean has still not been released officially for Galaxy S2 t898.
Note: this custom firmware is still in development stage so we are expecting to find some bugs or issues. But we do hope they would be taken care of as the development progresses.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S2 T8898 to Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM custom firmware:
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S2 T898in your computer.
- Create backup of all the important data from your Galaxy S2 since the guide asks you to wipe data.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S2 carries more than 70% of charge.
Update Galaxy S2 T898 to Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM custom firmware:
Required files: download the AvatarROM build 2.12b for Galaxy S2 T898 zip and save the file on your PC. Do not extract the contents. Download the GApps for S2 from here. Do not unzip and save the file on computer.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to computer using USB cable and copy both the files onto your smartphone’s sdcard. When the files are copied, disconnect the Galaxy S2 t898 from PC.
- Power off your S2 and boot into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the keys when screen shows a warning message. Press Volume Up to confirm being in recovery mode.
- Create a Nandroid backup: backup and restore > backup.
- Perform data wiping tasks: select wipe data/ factory reset option and confirm it. This will wipe your data. Also, wipe cache partition and go to advance to wipe dalvik cache too.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdCard and locate the AvatarROM 2.12b for SGS2 T989 zip and start the installation process.
- When firmware installation is completed successfully, repeat the above step for GApps installation.
- When Apps Package is also successfully installed, return to the main menu of the Recovery screen and select reboot system now to reboot Samsung Galaxy S2 T898 into Android 4.2.2 AvatarROM.
- This will take a few minutes since it is a first boot into new ROM and things would take time to settle down.
Your T-Mobile SGS2 SGH-T898 is now up and running the latest Android 4.2.2!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter