[How To] Unlock Your Google Nexus S Bootloader
The Google Nexus S is the third phone that has been released under the Google label following the Google G1 and HTC Hero on Android but with this one running on an updated Android 2.3 (Gingerbread).
The unlock surfaced on the XDA Developers a few hours later after the phone had been officially launched. A few of the early testers then managed to figure out on how to unlock the Nexus S’s Bootloader. So here are instructions on how to unlock your Google Nexus S with fast boot and the standard recovery mode.
- Turn off the phone completely.
- Now hold down the volume up and power button.
- You should have now entered Standard Recovery Mode.
- Connect your phone to your PC/Mac via USB
- Open command prompt (CMD on Windows) or Terminal (For Mac OSX)
- Enter ‘fastboot devices’ without quotes to check whether your phone is connected via USB
- Type ‘adb reboot bootloader’
- Type ‘fastboot oem unlock’
- Use volume keys to select ‘yes, unlock bootloader’
- Use power button to select option
- Your new bootloader is unlocked.
NOTE: This unlock performs a factory reset on your Android phone. Be sure to save any data before rooting.
And voila. Your Google Nexus S is now unlocked! A guide regarding the installation of the custom clockwork recovery is coming soon so stay tuned!
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter