Today in Android: Nokia 8 to Receive Oreo 8.1 Beta and More
It’s been a while since the Nokia 8 got Oreo 8.0, but HMD global didn’t hint at any release date for the latest Oreo 8.1. After what seemed like an eternity, Juho Sarvikas, the product manager at HMD Global Tweeted:
Be our guest as we serve #AndroidOreo 8.1 beta for #Nokia8 . Updating your device today will enable a host of new features. And most importantly – the hamburger emoji fix with cheese now on top of the patty! Get it here https://t.co/91uhqsbLYM#nokiamobilebetalabs pic.twitter.com/aA4LmSce0E
— Juho Sarvikas (@sarvikas) January 23, 2018
The upgrade brings several performance upgrades, some UI changes, notification improvements along with some under-the-hood improvements. Some of the changes are as follows:
- Translucent notification center and taskbar. Taskbar shows the underlying color of the page.
- Notification center gets dark/light theme based on the Wallpaper set by user
- Settings have undergone many UI tweaks including in top search toolbar
- Power menu has undergone a revamp and now looks similar to the one on Pixel 2 devices
- You can now disable “App is running in the background” and “Drawing over other apps” notifications just like others
- New corrected Hamburger Emoji
- Bluetooth device battery levels in the Quick Settings panel when a Bluetooth accessory is connected to your phone
The update is around 1,554 MB in size and will be available to users who have signed up for the beta program. The update will have to be downloaded over the air.
Nokia 5 on Android Oreo Beta gets new Build V5.2
The Oreo open beta for the Nokia 5 has been around for a while, and now testers reported that they received another update on it. This is the second Oreo Beta version in January. The last Oreo Beta V5.19 brought fixes for Spectre and Meltdown. Some of the changes that come with the latest build are as follows:
- Notification dots
- Update to January security patch
- Google Play Protect Security scans
- Autofill passwords
- Faster bootups
The update is about 152MB in size and can be downloaded OTA.
Galaxy Note 5 January 2018 update rolling out
Several Samsung handsets have received the January 2018 security update over the past couple of weeks. Even flagships like the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy Note 8 have received it in some markets. Samsung is gradually rolling out the update to more devices, and now it’s the older Galaxy Note 5’s turn. The Galaxy Note 5 January 2018 security update brings fixes for several critical vulnerabilities in the Android operating system as well as patches for many low, moderate and high-risk vulnerabilities. The firmware version N920CXXS4CRA1 for the Galaxy Note 5 (SM-N920C) is available for download over the air. Expect it to hit your devices shortly.