The Google Nexus 7 2013 edition has been released and we have already got hooked to the SlimBean team's alpha SlimBean custom ROM based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. Flash this custom firmware on your Nexus 7 if you want some additional features, tools and capabilities on your Android tablet.
Prerequisites to check before you flash SlimBean custom ROM for Google Nexus 7 Android 4.3:
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 7 on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- Your Nexus 7 should be unlocked and rooted.
- You should have a custom recovery tool installed on your Nexus.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Google Nexus 7 carries more than 70% of charge.
Note: this detailed tutorial to flash SlimBean on Nexus 7 is specifically written for the new Nexus 7 2013 edition, NOT the classic Asus Nexus 7.
How to install SlimBean custom ROM for Google Nexus 7 2013:
- Connect your Nexus 7 with computer using a USB cable and copy the firmware and GApps files on your device' SD card. Disconnect your Google tablet from computer when the copy is done.
- Switch off your Nexus 7 now and reboot into recovery mode.
- Perform data wiping tasks: select wipe data / factory reset, wipe cache partition, and finally wipe dalvik cache.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select Install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the downloaded SlimBean Android 4.3 custom firmware file for Google Nexus 7 and confirm the installation.
- Once done, repeat the above step but select GApps file this time.
- When the installation is finished successfully, go back and select Reboot system now to boot your tablet into SlimBean Android 4.3 JB custom firmware.
- In case your device gets stuck into bootloop: boot to recovery and select wipe data factory reset and wipe cache partition.
Ta da! Your Google Nexus 7 2013 is now proudly sporting the SlimBean Android 4.3 custom ROM!