Root Sprint HTC One and Install Custom Recovery (CWM/TWRP/Philz)
Rooting allows Android smartphones and tablets users to gain the root privileges over the Android OS – bypassing the carrier and OEM bonds. Rooting not only helps with going above the carrier limitations but also opens an array of options to customize and tweak your Android device exclusively according to your own choice.
Recovery tools like ClockworkMod, TWRP and Philz are secondary recovery systems giving you the power and capability of wiping partitions, flashing ROMs, kernels and patches to your stock device recovery. Today’s guide will focus on rooting the Sprint HTC One M7 and then installing custom recovery tool on the smartphone.
Prerequisites to root Sprint HTC Oneand install custom recovery tool:
- Backup any important data on your HTC One.
- Your HTC One should be having Android SDK.
- Install USB drivers or SyncManager from HTC.
- Juice up your device to at least 60% of power.
How to install custom recovery CWM / TWRP / Philz on HTC One M7:
Required files: download the custom package: DV_Sprint-HTC-One.Zip. This zip has all the essential files you’d need during installation of custom recovery.
- Enter into bootloader mode: press the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. Once HTC One boots, let go of the Power button for a second and then hold it down again – use volume keys to highlight and the power button to choose.
- Now connect your HTC device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Extract the content of DV_Sprint-HTC-One.zip on your desktop or any other location. Open the extracted folder and right-click on the empty space while pressing shift key. Select the Open Command Prompt here from the drop down.
- Follow the commands according to the recovery tool you want to install on your HTC One M7.
- If you wish to install ClockworkMod recovery tool, type the following command and press enter: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-184.108.40.206-m7spr.img.
- For CWM Touch 220.127.116.11, type the following and hit enter: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-m7spr.img.
- For TWRP 22.214.171.124: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199-m7wls.img.
- For Philz, enter this command: fastboot flash recovery philz_touch_5.08.5-m7spr.img.
- You have now successfully flashed a Custom Recovery tool to your Sprint HTC One M7. Time to root the smartphone now!
How to root Sprint HTC One M7:
Required files: download the SuperSU package from this link: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.41.zip.
- Connect your HTC One to your computer with USB cable and copy the downloaded SuperSU zip to the storage of your smartphone.
Disconnect the device now and enter into recovery: press Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. Let go of the Power button for a second once the device boots in, and then hold it down again.
- For those who have CWM installed: go to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard, and select the zip. Tap on Yes to flash it.
- For TWRP: go to Install and select the zip. Swipe the button to flash it.
- And finally for Philz Touch: go to Install zip > Choose zip from sdcard. Select the zip and tap on Yes to flash it.
- Once flashed successfully, reboot your HTC One M7 and ta da!
Your device is now successfully rooted and equipped with a custom recovery tool. Time to try some custom ROMs? Here is a list to start your custom journey: Some of the Best Custom ROMs for Sprint HTC One; for those craving for some stock experience, see our tutorial on installing Stock Android 4.2.2 on HTC One M7.