How to Fix Google Pixel Audio Distortion Issues with This Custom ROM
Several users have reported experiencing weird audio issues with their Google Pixel phones, as we reported earlier. While Google has admitted the problem, it is yet to deliver any fix. Thanks to the ever-generous XDA developers, it turns out you can fix Pixel audio problems with the WETA custom ROM for Pixel.
Users have reported that WETA ROM completely helped them fix Pixel audio issues, as the ROM uses a modified version of Viper Audio Mod instead of the stock audio kernel. Your device has to be rooted for this to work and you must have TWRP installed on your device. While we have already shared with you steps to root and install TWRP recovery on your Google Pixel and Pixel XL phones, we'd still recommend you not to proceed if you aren't confident with the process.
You can also simply flash the audio mod zip file (download here) and flash it from the TWRP recovery menu. This will help you stay on whatever ROM you're already on without having to install WETA to fix Pixel audio problems.
Even if you don't want to go with any of these fixes, it's still a good news because it confirms that the issue is likely software related and Google won't have to do anything but release a fix in the next month's software update - hopefully. Until Google does that, here are the links to WETA ROM.
Prerequisites to flash WETA custom ROM for Pixel and Pixel XL
- Download and install USB drivers for your Pixel on your computer.
- Your Pixel should be rooted and you must install TWRP recovery (guide for Pixel, guide for Pixel XL)
- Ensure that your Pixel phone carries more than 70% of charge.
How to flash WETA custom ROM for Pixel, Pixel XL
- Connect your Pixel to your PC using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your device.
- Disconnect your Pixel and power it off.
- Now boot it into TWRP recovery mode.
- Data wipe operations: wipe data and dalvik cache from the recovery menu.
- Now, select Install and then locate the WETA zip file.
- Once done, reboot your phone.
Please note, this isn't an extensively tested method so proceed at your own risk. Visit the developer's thread for more instructions on flashing and bug reports. Don't forget to share if you have flashed this ROM on your Pixel or Pixel XL and if you found any errors during the process.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter