Nintendo NX Handheld To Use Nvidia Tegra-based SoC – Rumor
With the Nintendo NX console still lacking some solid details, there have been a lot of rumors circulating on the next Nintendo console, revealing what are supposed to be its specs and its unique features. Among the new rumors circulating on the console right now is a rather interesting one which reveals more on the supposed handheld version of the console.
According to SemiAccurate, the Nintendo NX handheld will be using Nvidia Tegra-based SoC. Apparently, the Nvidia team was told to get a console win no matter what, and Nintendo supposedly got a very favorable deal, so favorable that SemiAccurate is now sure it's a true win for the Nvidia team. More details are shared by SemiAccurate on their website, but the article is only available to subscribers. Thankfully, NeoGAF forums member Fourth Storm has provided a summary of what the article reveals.
- Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.
- Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.
- SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal.
- Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
- No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.
Needless to say, this is definitely one of the more interesting Nintendo NX rumors. AMD has managed to dominate the current console generation with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, so it would definitely be peculiar to see Nvidia getting back on this particular market by providing technology for Nintendo's new console.
The Nintendo NX console will be released during March 2017 in all regions. We will keep you updated on the console as soon as more comes in on it, so stay tuned for all the latest news.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter