4A Games finally announced Metro Exodus during Microsoft's E3 2017 briefing, with a stunning gameplay trailer showcasing the much bigger playable world.
It had later been confirmed that Metro Exodus won't be a full open world, but it will have "huge, non-linear levels" inspired by S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which makes perfect sense as several developers left GSC Game World to found 4A Games after working on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise.
The official Steam page of the game recently went live. While there are no system requirements yet, there is a description of the backstory and the feature set, revealing that there will be "massive replayability" through the consequences of player's decisions possibly impacting Artyom's companions.
The year is 2036.
A quarter-century after nuclear war devastated the earth, a few thousand survivors still cling to existence beneath the ruins of Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro.
They have struggled against the poisoned elements, fought mutated beasts and paranormal horrors, and suffered the flames of civil war.
But now, as Artyom, you must flee the Metro and lead a band of Spartan Rangers on an incredible, continent-spanning journey across post-apocalyptic Russia in search of a new life in the East.
Metro Exodus is an epic, story-driven first person shooter from 4A Games that blends deadly combat and stealth with exploration and survival horror in one of the most immersive game worlds ever created.
Explore the Russian wilderness across vast, non-linear levels and follow a thrilling story-line that spans an entire year through spring, summer and autumn to the depths of nuclear winter.
Inspired by the novels of Dmitry Glukhovsky, Metro Exodus continues Artyom’s story in the greatest Metro adventure yet.
- Embark on an incredible journey - board the Aurora, a heavily modified steam locomotive, and join a handful of survivors as they search for a new life in the East
- Experience Sandbox Survival - a gripping story links together classic Metro gameplay with new huge, non-linear levels
- A beautiful, hostile world - discover the post-apocalyptic Russian wilderness, brought to life with stunning day / night cycles and dynamic weather
- Deadly combat and stealth – scavenge and craft in the field to customize your arsenal of hand-made weaponry, and engage human and mutant foes in thrilling tactical combat
- Your choices determine your comrades’ fate - not all your companions will survive the journey; your decisions have consequence in a gripping storyline that offers massive re-playability
- The ultimate in atmosphere and immersion - a flickering candle in the darkness; a ragged gasp as your gasmask frosts over; the howl of a mutant on the night wind - Metro will immerse and terrify you like no other game…
If you've never played the first two Metro games before, you definitely should. Steam allows you to get a bundle with both titles for $30, though maybe the price will go down even further during the upcoming summer sale.
Metro Exodus is due to launch in 2018 for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. The trailer below was captured on a PC, but the developers were targeting the specifications of Microsoft's Xbox One X.