MediaTek Helio X25 Will Be A More Powerful Variant Of Helio X20
We always thought that Helio X30 was going to replace Helio X20 as the flagship SoC from MediaTek, but it looks like Helio X25 is going to be next high-end chipset from the Taiwanese fabless semiconductor manufacturing firm.
Helio X25 Will Be Called MT6797T And Will Have Clock Speeds Higher Than Helio X20
MT6796T, or Helio X25 is going to be the more powerful variant of Helio X20. What this means is that Helio X25 is going to sport the same number of cores as MT6797, but they will be running at a higher frequency, resulting in additional performance. Currently, the clock speeds and core types of Helio X20 have been listed below, along with other specifications:
- 2 Cortex-A72 cores running at 2.5GHz
- 4 Cortex-A53 cores running at 2.0GHz
- 4 Cortex-A53 cores running at 1.4GHz
- Memory: 2 x LPDDR3 RAM running 800MHz, up to 4GB eMMC 5.1
- Video decode: 4K x 2K 10 bit 30fps H.264/265/VP9, 30 percent power improvement
- Video encode: 4K x 2K 30fps H.265 w/HDR, 40 percent power improvement
- Display: WQXGA 2560x1600 60fps, FHD 1920x1080 120fps
- LTE Modem: LTE FDD/TDD R11 Cat-6 with 20+20 CA, (300/50Mbps) DC-HSPA+, TD-SCDMA, EDGE, CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev.A (SRLTE), LTE/GPS Co-clock Supported
- Wireless adapter: Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11ac w/throughout up to 280Mbps GPS/Glonass/Beidou
While official specifications are not yet available to us, it has been stated that Helio X25 will sport a higher clock speed as opposed to Helio X20. This could mean that Cortex-A72 cores could be running at 2.7GHz rather than 2.5GHz, while the remaining Cortex-A53 cores could be running at a much higher clock speed. It has not been stated regarding which manufacturing process Helio X25 will be made at, but we have a hunch that it will be fabricated on the 16nm FinFET one and we will tell you why.
There were rumors suggesting that Helio X20 was overheating, and that is highly possible because of its 20nm manufacturing process, as well as Cortex-A72 cores running at a high clock speed. With a 16nm FinFET process, Helio X25 will keep its thermals low while at the same time, increase its cores’ clock speeds for better performance.
We did report that Helio X30 would be sporting four Cortex-A35 cores, which will use even less power compared to Cortex-A53 ones. Helio X30 will have the following processor configuration:
- 4 x Cortex-A72 cores running at 2.5 GHz
- 2 x Cortex-A72 cores running at 2.0 GHz
- 2 x Cortex-A53 cores running at 1.5 GHz
- 2 x Cortex-A35 cores running at 1.0 GHz
There is no official release date of Helio X25, but we suspect that it will be released during the second quarter of 2016.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter