iOS 5.1 Semi-Unthered Jailbreak Released for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Using Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3
If you own an iDevice with an A4 Processor and prior and are running iOS 5.1 on it now is your chance to get the semi-untethered jailbreak for your iDevice so you can enjoy Cydia once more, follow the guide below to learn how to use Sn0wbreeze and Windows to jailbreak your device.
iOS 5.1 Semi-Untethered was made possible for Windows today with the release of Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3, the update is current for A4 Processor devices and prior such as the iPad, iPod Touch 3G and 4G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, although there are certain things to watch out for in a “Semi-Untethered” jailbreak such as:
- You will be tethered booting A LOT so if you constantly connecting your iDevice to a PC and using the app repetitively isn’t for you then stay away from this and wait for a proper untethered release.
- If you are going to use an iPhone 4 that is unlocked with either Ultrasn0w or Gevey SIM then DO NOT USE THE STOCK iOS 5.1 IPSW file, You can refer to a guide HERE for instructions on how to unlock your iPhone.
- THIS WILL NOT WORK ON iPad 2, New iPad and the iPhone 4S.
First of you all you will need:
iTunes 10.6 which you can download HERE
Your IPSW file by choosing your device below:
And Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3 from HERE for Windows
When you have all of the above simply follow the steps below:
1. Start up iTunes and back up ALL your data to your computer.
2. When you see your iDevice in iTunes simply SHIFT + Left Click on the “Restore” button inside iTunes and lead it to the dialogue box to where your IPSW file is saved and install it.
3. Once the IPSW File is installed simply start up Sn0wbreeze, click the blue arrow on the bottom right
6. You will have a variety of options in front of you but as long as you choose “Install Cydia” you can check / uncheck all the other options as you wish and then select “Build IPSW” and then the Blue Arrow
7. Leave the rest to the software from here on in and engage in a nice game of Pacman while you wait.\
10. Come back into iTunes and you will be told your devices need to be restored, once again you will ALT + Left Click on the Restore button but instead of using the default IPSW like we did before you will now use the newly created IPSW file from Sn0wbreeze to complete the installation.
NOTE: I have gotten several emails about this issue and I thought I would add it now, If at ANY POINT your Safari / Cydia or both crash at launch this means your iDevices needs a reboot with iBooty.
Booting your device with iBooty:
Everytime your device restarts or shuts down due to low battery you will have to rejailbreak it with iBooty, this is the only hassle of the jailbreak until an untethered jailbreak comes along.
1. The iBooty icon should be on your desktop after the creation of your custom IPSW file.
2. Choose your iDevice from the drop down box at the bottom right of the screen and press start, if you know how to put your device into DFU mode prior to this guide now would be a good time to put your device into said state other wise you will be told how to put your device into DFU after you press start anyway.
3. Now let iBooty work its magic and you will receive a prompt when its done.
Do keep in mind that you have to repeat the iBooty step every time you see the Apple logo with a black background on your iDevice, if you ever restart or turn off your iDevice the jailbreak wears off and to reapply it you will need to rejailbreak it with iBooty.