We have already talked about “Minimus ROM Android 4.4.2 KitKat On Nexus 7” and today our guide is about installing Omni Mackay ROM Android 4.4.2 Kitkat on Google Nexus 5.
Omni team has, as of today, released a version of Omni Mackay ROM Android 4.4.2 Kitkat which supports for Google Nexus 5. The ROM itself is very fluid and fast. It is based on Omni sources and Kernel with the following changes:
- Mackay Kernel includes
- Set of cherries picked from Gerrit
- Some additional patches
- Omni codebase of 3-Feb
- TRDS (dark mode) -> further improved (Mms app works fine in both light and dark mode now)
- SuperSU integrated in Settings menu & SuperSU integrated in ROM
- QS tile code improved
- New feature: QS ribbons (settings>notifications)
- Updated MultiWindow code (still buggy, but works better than previous version)
- A whole range of small changes that should improve battery life
- Breathing call/sms icons
- Better balanced holo white throughout UI
Disclaimer: This guide will be using ‘Odin’ as a tool to flash the official firmware on your Google Nexus 5. During the process, you might lose all your existing installed apps and personal settings. It is therefore necessary for you to follow the guide carefully. Also, please, do mind that this tutorial is only for installing Omni Mackay ROM Android 4.4.2 Kitkat for Google Nexus 5. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Google Nexus 5
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- You should have a custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM installed on your device
- Backup any important data before going forward to the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Google Nexus 5 carries more than 70% of charge.
How Install Omni Mackay ROM Android 4.4.2 Kitkat for Google Nexus 5
- First step is to reboot your phone into Recovery mode, by pressing and holding down the Volume Up button, alongside Home and the Power button, until the screen flashes, release the three buttons then. After a few seconds of that, the phone will enter recovery mode
- Once in the recovery mode, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This is necessary, to enable you to recover your current ROM install, just in case the new ROM does not perform according to your liking. In order to perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete
- Once done, select wipe data/factory reset, select ‘Yes’ on the next screen to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes your data. Once complete, go back to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose a zip from SD card. That you copied earlier and select it by pressing the Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes. Install the said zip file on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- Once, the phone finishes installing the ROM, you need to re-do step 7, but choose Gapps .zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When GApps get installed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone
- That’s it