How to Update Verizon Galaxy S4 to VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 New Modem & Locked Bootloader
If you own a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 I545, the device has received a new software update numbered I545VRUDMI1. This latest update is still based on Android 4.2.2 as the previous VRUAME7. You can update Verizon Galaxy S4 to VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2 only via OTW (over-the-wire) or by using Verizon Update Assistant. The update is also expected to hit OTA soon as many users aren't very familiar with the update assistance. The VRUDMI1 update brings new modem version with improved signal and comes with a new bootloader.
Follow this guide to update Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 to VRUDMI1 Android 4.2.2. Do note that the new bootloader will patch the previous exploits and you might consider not using it since it took devs quite some time to find the root of Verizon SGS4.
Prerequisites to update Verizon Galaxy S4 to VRUDMI1 4.2.2 with modem and locked bootloader:
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S4 in your computer.
- Make sure to take backup of any important files on your S4.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Ensure that your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update Verizon Galaxy S4 to VRUDMI1 4.2.2 official firmware:
- Install Odin on your computer and launch it.
- Switch your Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 off and boot it in Download mode: press and hold Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together. When connected successfully, you will get a message in Odin saying Added!!. (In case you don’t get it, try another USB port. If that doesn't help either, then re-install USB drivers).
- In Odin make sure that the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time check boxes are the only options checked and nothing else is.
- Click on PDA on Odin, locate the .tar.md5 file; check everything and hit the Start button to initiate the update process.
- When update installation is successfully completed, on Odin ID:COM will turn green and Odin will show you a PASS message.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 will then restart and you can then disconnect your device from computer.
Note: Your device will lose both the root and custom recovery after this update - please only try it for testing purpose.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter