How to Update Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 to Glance S4 Android 4.2.2 Custom ROM
Feeling like updating your S3 to the very latest and sought-after Samsung Galaxy S4? Now why would you do it? Well, of course for those new features and capabilities that have been put together in the new Galaxy. Here is a little budget saving solution for this situation: if you are only looking for the software side of the smartphone, we can get you all the features, capabilities and UI from Samsung Galaxy S4 right into your Galaxy S3!
Sounds good, right? The awesome XDA devs have just released Glance S4 custom ROM giving you all the features and UI right out of Galaxy S4. The update procedure is typical as with any other custom firmware and very easy too. Follow this tutorial to learn how to flash Glance S4 Android 4.2.2 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3!
Prerequisites before you update Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 to Glance S4 – based on SGS4 UI:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that recovery tool like ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S3 carries more than 80% of charge.
Guide to update Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 to Glance S4 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean:
- Connect your Galaxy S3 i9300 to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded files to the SD card of your smartphone.
- Disconnect the connection with computer and turn your Samsung Galaxy S3 off.
- Boot in to custom recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Down and the Power buttons simultaneously until Samsung logo shows up. Leave the keys for half a second and hold again. Use Volume keys to scroll and Power button to select – alternatively you can use Quick Boot app to reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- Now perform Nandroid backup of your current ROM: select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go back to main recovery menu after backup process is done – very important step to restore back to current OS.
- Data wiping tasks: select wipe data/factory reset > Yes. It will take a few minutes, once done, select wipe cache partition. Next tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe Dalvik cache data too.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the Galaxy S4 UI based Glance S4 custom ROM file copied earlier and select it. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait for the ROM installation to be completed.
- Once installation process is finished successfully, repeat the above step but choose GApps file instead to install the Google apps package on your SGS3 i9300.
- Return to main recovery menu now and select reboot system now to boot up into the latest Glance S4 4.2.2 custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S3. It will take a bit of time during the first boot, so kindly be patient.
Important note: If you want to return to previous OS on your SGS3, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.