Guide to Install Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 on Galaxy S Advance
After Galaxy S, Samsung went up with some modifications and came up for some new variants: Galaxy S Advance and Galaxy S Plus. The official Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean has been released for Galaxy S Advance now, while S Plus hasn't yet got it. This custom ROM is based on Cyanogenmod 10.1 with some genuine 4.2.1 feeling. So keep reading this tutorial to install Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 on Galaxy S Advance.
Features not working:
- Camera — using camera stub
- Audio — blobs are being added to the vendor repo
- WiFi — module loads but other things needs to be fixed
- Vibrator — driver is not working properly
Note: This guide is only intended for Samsung Galaxy S Advance model number I9070. Please do not try to install it on any other models or you might get some unwanted results.
Pre-requisites to install Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 on Galaxy S Advance:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S Advance in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S Advance carries more than 80% of charge.
Guide to install Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 on Galaxy S Advance:
Required files to be downloaded:
- Connect Galaxy S Advance I9070 to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded file to the SD card of your handset. Do not extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and switch your Galaxy S Advance off. Boot in to custom recovery mode by pressing holding Volume Up, Home and the Power buttons simultaneously until the Samsung logo shows up. Use the Volume keys to highlight and use Power button to select.
- Now perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM to be restored later if this new ROM does not work or you want to move back. Select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go to recovery menu after backup process is done. - it is a very important step to get back to your current ROM.
- Wiping operation: Wipe the data on Galaxy S Advance by going to wipe data/factory reset > Yes path. It will take you a few minutes until the data wiping is completed. After this is done, come back to the main CMW recovery menu and select wipe cache partition. When done, tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe Dalvik cache data.
- Flashing the ROM: Now from sdcard, select install zip from sdcard and follow with choose zip from sdcard. Locate the cyaniogenmod 10.1.zip file copied earlier and select it by pressing power button. Select yes to confirm the installation and wait for the CM10.1 installation to be completed.
- Once the ROM flashing process is done, repeat the above step but choose gapps file instead of the ROM zip to install the Google apps package - follow the same steps as above.
- When both these files are successfully flashed, select +++++go back+++++.
- Go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot up into the latest custom firmware Cyanogenmod 10.1 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. It will take a bit of time during the first time so, be patient.
Ta da! Your Samsung Galaxy S Advance is now running the CM10.1 Android 4.2.1. Have fun and let us know about any troubles.
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter