Guide to Install Omni Android 4.4.1 KitKat Custom Rom on Sony Xperia L
Sony has recently updated the Sony Xperia L to Android 4.4.1 KitKat, giving a much needed relief to the community anxiously waiting for the upgrade.
The said ROM update provides the users with a long list of features and bug fixes; bluetooth stack, proximity sensor and a few more. It needs to be pointed out that while OmniRom is based on Android 4.4.1, it is an alpha build, and therefore the accompanied risk should be well accounted for at the time of installation.
The readers can follow the guide below to install Omni Rom Android 4.4.1 KitKat on Sony Xperia L. But please before going any further, make sure that you follow the steps to the dot. Feel free to leave comments if you encounter an issues while following the directives.
Disclaimer: This guide will be using ‘Odin’ as a tool to flash the official firmware on your Sony Xperia L. During the process, you might lose all your existing installed apps and personal settings. It is therefore necessary for you to follow the guide carefully. Also, please, do mind that this tutorial is only for Sony Xperia L. Don’t try this guide in any other Android device.
Prerequisites to Install Minimus ROM on Sony Xperia L:
- Download and install USB drivers for Sony Xperia L
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- You should have a custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM installed on your device
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Sony Xperia L carries more than 70% of charge.
How to Install Omni Android 4.4.1 KitKat Custom Rom on Sony Xperia L
- First step is to reboot your Sony Xperia L into Recovery mode, by pressing and holding down the Volume Up button, alongside Home and the Power button, until the screen flashes, release the three buttons then. After a few seconds of that, the phone will enter recovery mode
- Once in the recovery mode, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This is necessary, to enable you to recover your current ROM install, just in case the new ROM does not perform according to your liking. In order to perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete
- Once done, select wipe data/factory reset, select ‘Yes’ on the next screen to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes your data. Once complete, go back to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose a zip from SD card. That you copied earlier and select it by pressing the Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes. Install the said zip file on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- Once, the phone finishes installing the ROM, you need to re-do step 7, but choose Gapps .zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When GApps get installed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone
- That’s it