Flash OctOS Android 6.0.1 Custom ROM for Sprint Galaxy S3
Looking for an Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow based custom firmware for your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3? Team OctOS has released a stable custom ROM for the handset. Based on 6.0.1, the ROM brings the best features from CM13, LiquidSmooth and other popular Marshmallow based ROMs. Follow this guide for steps to flash OctOS on Sprint Galaxy S3. For features and updates, please visit the official website.
Prerequisites to update Sprint Galaxy S3 to OctOS Android 6.0.1:
- Backup any important data from your Samsung Galaxy S3 as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP or CWM.
- Your device must be charged to at least 60% of power.
Note: this tutorial is focused on Sprint Galaxy S3; please do not try this guide on other Android & Samsung devices. The unofficial ROM is still in development phase, so please beware that some features might not function at their best.
How to update Sprint Galaxy S3 to OctOS Android 6.0.1:
- Connect Galaxy S3 to your computer using a USB cable and copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your Galaxy S3.
- Boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your current OS: Backup > backup and restore on ClockworkMod recovery.
- Wipe data task: from the CWM recovery menu, select wipe data / factory reset and confirm the process. Then go on to wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
- From recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard, followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the OctOS Android 6.0.1 custom firmware and confirm the flashing process.
- Return back to main recovery menu and reboot your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 into the new custom ROM. First boot may take a few long minutes.
How to restore: If you want to return to previous OS on your SGS3, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.