Shoot 4K Video, Slo-Mo Clips, Low-Light HDR Photography and More with LG G2 Mod – How to
If you own the popular Android LG G2 smartphone, you are in for a treat today! This detailed guide post will help you modify your LG G2 to gain some fun shooting experience! This step by step post intends to help you shoot 4K videos on LG G2 along with slo-mo 120 fps clips.
This has been possible because of XDA developer xdabbeb who has developed this useful LG G2 mod tweaking with the software to use the capability of the amazing camera hardware. Using the support from Android KitKat update, developer has taken advantage of LG G2 hardware and is offering a plenty of improvements in the camera software.
The camera hardware itself is very capable, but LG didn't do much on the software end to balance out the performance in different lighting situations. I hope this mod can begin to solve these issues and even add functionality that is missing in the stock app - for complete changelog, please check this XDA Forum.
As you can read in the changelog too (pasted below in parts), this mod not only offers 4K video and slo-mo shooting, but also provides other improvements in the camera app including HDR video mode, low-light photography and more!
LG G2 camera mod changelog:
- NEW HDR Video Mode
- Select it from the MODE menu while in video recorder
- Doesn't do the over-saturated thing the HDR photo mode does, but does increase micro contrast in uneven lighting environments.
- Will only work in 30fps target mode. If you are in 60fps mode it will kick you down when you select HDR Recording.
- NEW 1600 ISO Mode
- Now you can set an ISO of 1600 manually, giving the Normal mode even more flexibility
- Combining these settings with the brightness slider you can achieve even more variety, and the shutter speed still won't drop below 1/10.
- I may bump the shutter speed of Normal mode further in the next version due to the expanded range it now has to take photos in low-light.
- NEW 60fps 720p Mode
- File names should now be the date stamp for everyone.
- Just select it from the size dropdown list in Video Recorder
- You still have the option of 720p @ 24-30fps as well.
- I'm still looking into IA mode saving on exit. The other method posted in this thread doesn't work.
- There may have been some other things, but those are the big ones for now
- There's also an alternate version available that silences the record start/stop and focus sounds
- NEW 4kUHD and 120fps video recording modes
- Same additions and features as the previous versions
- This version is for 4.4.2 stock KitKat builds only.
Prerequisites to install LG G2 Camera mod:
- To be able to shoot 4K video on LG G2 and slo-mo clips, make sure your G2 is running on the official stock Android 4.4 KitKat.
- Make sure to create a complete Nandroid backup of your LG G2 - MUST!
- If you don't want to create a Nandroid backup (really a must), you can choose to run backup and restore scripts shared by the developer.
How to flash LG G2 camera mod:
Required files: backup script and restore script. For the mod, there are different files (and different offerings) for Jelly Bean and KitKat. You will get 4k video and slo-mo shooting only with KitKat. However, you can get various other LG G2 camera improvements on Jelly Bean too. For Android 4.4.2 KitKat, here is the link: Mod (Android KitKat 4.4.2 stock LG only). For more links, visit the XDA link.
Steps to flash LG G2 camera mod:
- Create backup using TWRP recovery mode. Or choose to run backup script to only backup the files this mod will affect - not recommended.
- Once backed up, install the mod downloaded from the links above by following on-screen instructions.
- Once done, reboot your device.
- Verify the mod installation by going to your camera and check the ISO 1600 settings.
- If you want to go back, you can always use your Nandroid backup or run the restore script to get the camera settings back!
That's it! Let us know if you flashed this LG G2 camera mod and liked the new way of photography using your smartphone.
- Source: XDA link
Stay in the loop
GET A DAILY DIGEST OF LATEST TECHNOLOGY NEWS
Straight to your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter