Final version of tvOS 10.0.1 for Apple TV 4 has been released. Here's how you can update to the latest build over the air.
tvOS 10.0.1 Final Version Released - Don't Expect Anything New Feature Wise
tvOS 10 has been bumped to version 10.0.1 and it packs a handful of bug fixes and performance enhancements. If you were expecting some new features to make the cut in this update then you'll be thoroughly disappointed. But that doesn't mean you pass up on the update altogether. Any update, given its feature set or lack thereof it, is worth the update.
Update Apple TV 4 to tvOS 10.0.1 Over the Air
- Turn on your Apple TV 4 using the Siri Remote.
- Now select the Settings app.
- Scroll all the way down and select System.
- Select Software Updates.
- Install the available software update on your Apple TV.
Remember, once you download the software update, you'll be required to restart your Apple TV 4 in order to complete the installation. So, do not touch your Apple TV 4 when the installation is in progress. Things should go through as smoothly as possible.
Clean Install tvOS 10.0.1 using iTunes
Performing a clean install of tvOS is the way to go if you're seeing a lot of performance related issues. These can arise if you have installed a lot of apps and games on your device. So yes, clean installing will wipe off everything from your Apple TV and bring everything back to its factory state, all ready to be set up from scratch.
Here's how you clean install tvOS 10.0.1 using iTunes:
- Download the tvOS 10.0.1 firmware file from the foot of this post.
- Now connect your Apple TV 4 with your PC or Mac using a USB Type-C to Type-A cable.
- Launch iTunes.
- Once your Apple TV is detected by iTunes, select it from the top left hand corner.
- Now click on the 'Restore Apple TV' button while holding down the left 'Option' key (Mac) or left 'Shift' key (Windows).
- Select the firmware file you downloaded and you're good to go.
The restoration process can take quite a bit so do not panic if you think things are moving rather slowly. Once everything is complete, iTunes will throw a warning at you.
Download tvOS 10.0.1 Firmware File
Here's the direct link to the latest tvOS firmware file:
If you love your Apple TV and make use of it a lot, then update to the latest software release without giving it a second thought. This will ensure stability while at the same time bring forth performance enhancements which you badly crave for.