The CM team has started releasing stable builds of CyanogenMod 12.1 for various popular flagship devices. We already shared with you the links to flash CM 12.1 Nightlies on your smartphones, here is how you can now experience more stable performance with one of the most popular custom firmware for Android devices. Follow this guide to flash CM 12.1 Stable ROM on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4. You can also check the following links for CM 12.1 Stable Lollipop ROM for other devices:
Prerequisites to flash CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 on Verizon Galaxy S4:
- Backup any important data from your Samsung Galaxy S4 as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP or CWM.
- Your device must be charged to at least 60% of power.
Note: this tutorial is focused on Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4; kindly do not try this guide on other Android & Samsung devices.
How to update Verizon Galaxy S4 to CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1:
Required files: download CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware for Verizon Galaxy S4 and save it on your computer. Do not extract the contents. Also download Google Apps Package.
Here are the steps to install CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 custom ROM on Verizon Galaxy S4.
- Connect your Galaxy S4 to your computer using a USB cable and copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your Galaxy S4.
- Boot it into recovery mode: switch the phone on while pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your current OS: Backup and restore in ClockworkMod recovery.
- Wipe data task: from CWM recovery menu, select wipe data / factory reset and confirm the process.
- From recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Stable custom firmware and confirm the flashing process.
- Return back to main recovery menu and reboot your Verizon Galaxy S4 into the new custom ROM. First boot takes a good 5 minutes so please be patient.