Update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.3 Google Play Edition
The Google Play Edition Android 4.3 – released with Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play editions – custom ROM is now available to be flashed on Sony Xperia Z. This custom firmware for Xperia is based on Android 4.3 JB JSS15J build, rooted and is deodexed. This custom ROM will give you stock GE experience along with PIE and HALO features from ParanoidAndroid.
Prerequisites to update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.3 Google Play Edition:
- Backup any important data from your Sony Xperia Z as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Your device must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP or CWM.
- Your device must be charged to at least 60% of power.
Note: the tutorial is only focused on Sony Xperia Z, please do not try it on other devices. This guide would be helpful for those users who want to try the new features of Android 4.3 JB.
How to update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.3 custom firmware:
- Connect Sony Xperia Z to your computer and copy the zip files to your smart phone’s internal memory card.
- Disconnect your device when copy is done.
- Switch your Xperia Z off and boot it into recovery mode.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your current OS; important step to revert back to current OS. Go to Backup > backup and restore on CWM and confirm the process.
- From CWM recovery menu, perform the wiping tasks: select wipe data / factory reset. Confirm the process.
- Now, to flash the Android 4.3 GE V2.0 custom firmware, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the firmware zip and confirm the flashing process to initiate installation.
- When done, return back to main recovery menu and reboot your Xperia Z into normal mode. First boot takes a good 5 minutes so please be patient.
Ta da! You have successfully flashed the Android 4.3 Google Play Edition v2.0 custom firmware on your Sony Xperia Z.
For more, visit the XDA dev thread here.
We cater to your constant need to remain up to date on today’s technology. Like us, tweet to us or +1 us, to keep up with our round the clock updates, reviews, guides and more.