Update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 RC5 Custom ROM
RC5 of CM10.1 is already here for Sony Xperia Z making us think that CyanogenMod team is working pretty hard to release the final version of this ROM. Follow this tutorial to install the CM10.1 release candidate 5 on Sony Xperia Z. Here’s the link to the earlier posted tutorial of CM10.1 for Xperia Z.
Prerequisites to check before you update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 RC5:
- Backup any important data from your Xperia Z as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- A Nandroid backup is also recommended since it will help you to restore to current state if you do not like the new ROM. In the recovery follow this path: backup and restore > backup.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Sony Xperia should be having a recovery tool: we are using ClockworkMod.
- Your Sony Xperia Z must be charged to at least 60% of power.
How to update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 RC5 Custom ROM:
Required files: download the CyanogenMod firmware file, and Google Apps for Xperia Z. Unzip the fastboot.zip file on the c drive. Extract the CM10.1 firmware folder and copy the boot.img file in the fastboot folder.
- Connect Xperia Z to PC using a USB cable and copy the GApps and ROM files on the phone’s SD card. Disconnect your phone afterwards.
- Now power your Sony Xperia off and reboot into recovery mode: hold down volume up and power buttons simultaneously.
- In recovery mode, perform wipe tasks: wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache and finally from advanced, select wipe dalvik cache to clear the dalvik cache – skip this step if your Xperia Z is already on CyanogenMod.
- Return to main menu and select Install Zip from SD Card followed by Choose Zip from SD Card. Locate the downloaded CM10.1 RC5 ROM file and confirm installation.
- Repeat the above step for GApps package.
- Once the installation is finished, select Go Back and then select Reboot System Now.
Awesome! Your Sony Xperia Z is now running the release candidate 5 of the CM10.1. Enjoy the CyanogenMod ride!
Get Latest Tech News Daily
We cater to your constant need to remain up to date on today’s technology. Like us, tweet to us or +1 us, to keep up with our round the clock updates, reviews, guides and more.