RC5 of CM10.1 is already here for Sony Xperia Z making us think that CyanogenMod team is working pretty hard to release the final version of this ROM. Follow this tutorial to install the CM10.1 release candidate 5 on Sony Xperia Z. Here’s the link to the earlier posted tutorial of CM10.1 for Xperia Z.
Prerequisites to check before you update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 RC5:
- Backup any important data from your Xperia Z as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- A Nandroid backup is also recommended since it will help you to restore to current state if you do not like the new ROM. In the recovery follow this path: backup and restore > backup.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Sony Xperia should be having a recovery tool: we are using ClockworkMod.
- Your Sony Xperia Z must be charged to at least 60% of power.
How to update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 RC5 Custom ROM:
Required files: download the CyanogenMod firmware file, and Google Apps for Xperia Z. Unzip the fastboot.zip file on the c drive. Extract the CM10.1 firmware folder and copy the boot.img file in the fastboot folder.
- Connect Xperia Z to PC using a USB cable and copy the GApps and ROM files on the phone’s SD card. Disconnect your phone afterwards.
- Now power your Sony Xperia off and reboot into recovery mode: hold down volume up and power buttons simultaneously.
- In recovery mode, perform wipe tasks: wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache and finally from advanced, select wipe dalvik cache to clear the dalvik cache – skip this step if your Xperia Z is already on CyanogenMod.
- Return to main menu and select Install Zip from SD Card followed by Choose Zip from SD Card. Locate the downloaded CM10.1 RC5 ROM file and confirm installation.
- Repeat the above step for GApps package.
- Once the installation is finished, select Go Back and then select Reboot System Now.
Awesome! Your Sony Xperia Z is now running the release candidate 5 of the CM10.1. Enjoy the CyanogenMod ride!