The devs do it again! XDA developer Dubbsy has successfully ported Android 4.3 from Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 to the standard Samsung Galaxy S4. You can now install the stock Android as a custom ROM on your Galaxy S4. Follow this guide to install Android 4.3 on your smartphone and for more details.
Verizon is always known for releasing kernel sources and rolling out updates later than other carriers. It also locks the bootloaders and flagship devices arrive late too. Same is the case with Google Play Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 which cannot be installed on the Verizon SGS4 because of the compatibility issues. But no more!
Prerequisites to check before you update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 Google Play Edition:
- Download and install USB drivers for Verizon Galaxy S4 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that some recovery tool like ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S4 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update Samsung Galaxy S4 to Android 4.3 Google Play Edition Galaxy S4 stock firmware:
Required files: choose the firmware file from this dev link.
- Mount your device memory on computer using USB cable and copy the ROM file.
- Switch off your Verizon SGS4 and disconnect from PC.
- Now boot in to recovery mode: press and hold volume up, home and power buttons.
- Perform a Nandroid backup: to create backup go to Backup and Restore > Backup – important step to be able to restore back if anything does not work out.
- Now from recovery perform a full data wipe operation: go to wipe data/factory reset and confirm the operation. Go to wipe cache partition to clear the cache. Once done, from main menu go to Advance > Wipe dalvik cache.
- Next, select install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from Sdcard. Find the GPe Android 4.3 for Samsung Galaxy S4 firmware file and confirm its installation.
- Go back and reboot the smartphone by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu.
You have just updated your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 to Google Play Edition Android 4.3 stock firmware. Please note that there are still a few bugs in the firmware file. These are the ones listed by the developer:
- When on LTE, signal bars do not show up. LTE is active and working, you just don’t see bars.
- Verizon Wireless is not showing up as the carrier.
- Data drops for some, I haven’t had any issue since I set the default network type as LTE/CDMA auto PRL.
Do let us know about your experience with the Google Play edition stock Android 4.3 on Verizon SGS4.