Update Galaxy S2 to Official AOKP JB MR1 Build 3 – Android 4.2.1
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 has received its own AOKP JB MR1 build 3 ROM based on Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. This new AOKP Milestone Release Build 3 comes with new features and functions, offering three different UI modes: the phablet, tablet and phone modes. You can flash this custom ROM on your device by following this tutorial. We will flashing this ROM using ClockworkMod custom recovery.
Note: For those asking us to try tutorials on different Android devices, please ONLY try on the devices and model numbers mentioned in the posts or you might get your device hard bricked. This tutorial is only for updating Galaxy S2, modeled I9100. Kindly do not try this guide on any other device. You can check your device’s model number in: Settings > About phone.
Pre requisites before you Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official AOKP JB MR1 Build 3 Android 4.2.1:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S2 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S2 carries more than 80% of charge.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100 to Official AOKP JB MR1 Build 3 Android 4.2.1:
- ROM file (Download link) & Google Apps Package (Download link). Save the files on your PC and please do not extract its contents.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to PC and copy downloaded files to SD card using the USB cable.
- Disconnect USB, power off the smartphone and boot your phone into custom recovery mode (press Volume, Up, and Power button simultaneously).
- Create a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM in case you want to move back: select Backup and restore and then Backup.
- Perform data wipe operations now: select wipe data/factory reset and confirm to factory reset. Note: If your Galaxy S2 is already running an official AOKP Jelly Bean ROM developed by the Android Open Kang Project team then you can still the factory reset step.
- Now from sdcard, select install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard. Locate the AOKP JB MR1 build 3 ROM file copied earlier and select it by pressing power button. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait for the ROM installation.
- Repeat the above steps but select Gapps for Android 4.2.1 file rather than the AOKP ROM file.
- Once the installation is done, return back to the main menu and select reboot system now to boot in to the new Android 4.2.1 firmware based AOKP JB MR1 build 3 ROM.
It might take you a few minutes during the first boot, but no worries there. You’ll get some awesome features to cover up for that. Enjoy!