Update Nexus 7 to Android 4.4.4 SlimKat Custom Firmware – How to
SlimKat is one of the few first custom firmwares that were available on Android 4.4 KitKat. Rich with features, SlimKat gives stock experience of KitKat while offering a stable and speedy performance. Here is how you can update Nexus 7 to Android 4.4.4 based SlimKat custom ROM.
SlimKat Android 4.4.4 KitKat features:
- All SlimKat Features
- Built in Kangaroo Kernel
- Full USB-DAC Support (Hot Plug, on Boot, Volume Control)
- Wake-Lock Blocker
- Volume and Media Keys available to put in the Navbar
- Support for all file systems (ALL-F2FS, DATA-F2FS, ALL-EXT4)
- Easycap Support
Prerequisites before you update Nexus 7 to Android 4.4.4 SlimKat:
- Download and install USB drivers for Asus Nexus 7 on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- Your Nexus 7 should be unlocked and rooted.
- You should have a custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM installed on your Nexus 7.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Nexus 7 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update update Nexus 7 to Android 4.4.4 SlimKat ROM:
Required files: download the SlimKat Android 4.4.4 custom ROM firmware file from here. Also download the Google Apps Package for ASUS Nexus 7. Save both the files on your computer and do not extract the contents.
Here are the steps to update Nexus 7 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat based SlimKat custom firmware.
- Connect your new Nexus 7 with computer using a USB cable and copy the firmware and GApps files on your device’ SD card.
- Disconnect your Nexus tablet from computer when the copy is done.
- Turn off the Nexus 7 completely and reboot it into recovery mode with Volume Up + Volume Down and Power keys.
- Perform Nandroid backup of your current OS: Backup and Restore > Backup
- Now perform data wiping tasks: select wipe data / factory reset, wipe cache partition, and finally wipe dalvik cache.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select Install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the downloaded SlimKat Android 4.4.4 custom firmware file for Nexus 7 and confirm the installation.
- Once the custom ROM is successfully installed on Nexus, repeat the above step but select GApps file this time.
- When done, reboot your Nexus 7 to boot into the newly installed SlimKat custom ROM.