How to Install Android 7.1 Nougat ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3
Looking for an Android 7.1.0 based custom ROM for your Samsung Galaxy S3? The latest AICP custom firmware is now available for the flagship smartphone of the bygone era. Based on the latest Nougat, the ROM promises some amazing features, including CM14.1, for your older but reliable device. Reportedly a stable and fast custom ROM, you can now update Galaxy S3 to Android 7.1 AICP ROM.
AICP Android 7.1 features
- System animations
- Power menu animation
- LCD density changer
- Status bar icons control
- Battery Icon style (percentage, icon type)
- Brightness control
- Show notification count
- Quick pulldown on QS
- Superuser indicator control
- Time contextual header
- Force expanded notifications
- Disable immersive mode messages
- Recents in fullscreen
- Lock screen shortcuts
- Lock screen blur
- Left-handed mode
- Pie Control
- Gesture Anywhere
- Launch music app when headset is connected
- Three fingers swipe for screenshot
The ROM is still in development phase, so beware that some features might not work at their best. For more features and support, visit the official thread.
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S3 to Android 7.1 AICP
- Backup any important data from your Samsung Galaxy S3 as a complete wipe will be required during the flashing process.
- Enable USB debugging option on your device: Settings > Development Options > USB debugging.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 must be rooted, unlocked and installed with a recovery tool like TWRP.
- Your device must be charged to at least 60% of power.
Note: this tutorial is focused on Samsung Galaxy S3 model I9300; please do not try this guide on other Android or Samsung devices.
How to update Galaxy S3 to Android 7.1 Nougat
Required files: download AICP Android 7.1 custom firmware for Galaxy S3 and save it on your computer. Also, download GApps. Do not extract the contents.
- Connect Galaxy S3 to your computer using a USB cable and copy the zip file to your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cord and power off your Galaxy S3.
- Boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home + Power buttons together.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your current OS: Backup > backup and restore on ClockworkMod recovery.
- Wipe data task: from the CWM or TWRP recovery menu, select wipe data / factory reset and confirm the process. Then go on to wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache.
- From recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard, followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the AICP Android 7.1 Nougat custom ROM and confirm the flashing process.
- Return back to main recovery menu and reboot your Samsung Galaxy S3 into the new custom ROM. First boot may take a few long minutes.
How to restore: If you want to return to previous OS on your SGS3, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.