Update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.2.2 ParanoidAndroid 3.50 with Halo
The AOSP 3+ project ParanoidAndroid custom ROM is one the most finest ROMs available for Galaxy S3. The latest custom ROM build was based on Android 4.2.2 and RC was released without the HALO feature which the ParanoidAndroid team is working on. In this guide we are using an unofficial port based on PA featuring HALO function to flash on our Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 [read more about the official RC build updates here].
The popular HALO feature allows all the apps to show the notifications in their own HALO window without clustering the notification bar. We are expecting to have our hands on the official PA 3.50 with HALO as soon as Team Paranoid Android releases the alpha build with PIE controls and HALO feature. For now, let’s go the unofficial way.
Important: Only for Samsung Galaxy S3 model i9300 – please do not try on other models.
Prerequisites to check before you update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.2.2 ParanoidAndroid 3.50 Halo:
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S3 in your computer.
- Create backup of all the important data from your SGS3 i9300 since the tutorial asks you to wipe data.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 carries more than 70% of charge.
Update Galaxy S3 to Android 4.2.2 ParanoidAndroid 3.50 Halo – unofficial port:
Required files: download the unofficial PA 3.50 I9300 zip from this link and save the file on your PC. Do not extract the contents. Also, download the GApps for S3 from here. Do not unzip and save the file on computer.
- Connect your SGS3 to computer using USB cable and copy both the files onto your smartphone’s internal SD card. When the files are copied, disconnect the device from PC.
- Switch off your S3 I9300 phone and boot into CWM recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Release the keys when screen shows a warning message. Press Volume Up to confirm being in recovery mode.
- Perform Nandroid backup: backup and restore > backup. Important step to be able to restore to current OS.
- Next perform data wiping tasks: select wipe data/ factory reset option and confirm it. This will wipe your data.
- Select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdCard. Locate the Paranoid Android 3.50 i9300 zip and start the installation process.
- When firmware installation is completed successfully, repeat the above step for GApps installation.
- When Google Apps Package is also installed, return to the main menu of the Recovery screen and select reboot system now.
- This will take a few minutes since it is a first boot into new ROM and things have to settle down.
Note: if the first boot process of the new PA ROM takes too long to complete or the device enters into a boot loop, then switch the smartphone off completely by removing its battery. After a few seconds re-insert the battery and turn the phone on and repeat the tutorial again. Ensure to not skip any steps.
To know about the popular custom ROMs, check our Some of the Best Custom ROMs for Samsung Galaxy S3-Android 4.2.2/4.1.2 post.
Get Latest Tech News Daily
We cater to your constant need to remain up to date on today’s technology. Like us, tweet to us or +1 us, to keep up with our round the clock updates, reviews, guides and more.