Update Galaxy S3 T999 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean LiquidSmooth – T Mobile Custom Firmware
The latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean can now be downloaded for Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 (T-mobile) unofficially. The unofficial firmware can be flashed using custom ROM LiquidSmooth. The dev team of LiquidSmooth released the RC1 version based on latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
If you are looking for a way to upgrade your S3, it’s a very capable of device of running Android 4.2.2 smoothly. Follow this easy step-by-step guide to update Galaxy S3 T999 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean LiquidSmooth on T-Mobile.
Some Key Features of LiquidSmooth ROM:
- Google GCC 4.7 Toolchain
- Strict-Aliasing (Linaro)
- C++11 Mode & O3
- Optimized String Handling Routines (Linaro/Sony)
- lockscreen button & sliders are customizable
- Customizable hardware and software keys
- Customizable navbar ring
- Customizable power menu &quicksettings panel
- Chronus clock widget
- Transparent navbar and status bar
- Navigation bar widgets
- Statusbar mods & full rotation
- Volume rocker music controls
- Customizable battery and notification light
Note: The LiquidSmooth ROM (RC1) based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, is still under development and may contain certain bugs and issues. All issues will be resolved though as the development progresses.
Important: For those asking us to try tutorials on other Android devices, please ONLY try on the devices and model numbers mentioned in the posts or you might get your device hard bricked. This guide is only for updating Galaxy S3, modeled T999. Please do not try this guide on any other device. You can check your device’s model number in: Settings > About phone.
Pre requisites before you Update Galaxy S3 T999 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean LiquidSmooth:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S3 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S3 carries more than 80% of charge.
How to Update Galaxy S3 T999 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean LiquidSmooth (T-Mobile):
Files to download: Please download these required files: LiquidSmooth ROM 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM For Galaxy S3 T999 [filename: Liquid-JB-v2.1-RC1-d2tmo.zip] &
- Google Apps [filename: gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip]
- Connect Galaxy S3 SGH-t999 to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded file to the SD card of your handset. Do not extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and turn your Galaxy S3 off. Boot in to recovery mode by pressing holding Volume Up, Down and the Power buttons simultaneously until the Samsung logo shows up. Leave the buttons for half a second and hold again. Use Volume keys to highlight and Power button to select. Alternatively you can use Quick Boot app to reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM to be restored later if this new ROM does not work or you want to move back. Select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go to recovery menu after backup process is done. - very important step.
- Wipe the data now by going to wipe data/factory reset > Yes path. It will take a few minutes until the data wiping is completed. Come back to the main CMW recovery menu and select wipe cache partition, once it’s finished, tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe Dalvik cache data.
- Now from sdcard, select install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard. Locate the Liquid-JB-v2.1-RC1-d2tmo.zip file copied earlier and select it by pressing power button. Tap on yes to confirm installation and wait for the ROM installation.
- Once installation process is done, repeat the above step but this time choose gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file instead of the ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When Gapps installation is finished, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot up into the latest custom LiquidSmooth ROM on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. It will take a bit of time, please be patient.
Note: To return to Previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
That’s it! We are done with flashing our Galaxy S3 T-Mobile model number SGH-T999 phone on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware based custom ROM LiquidSmooth.