The unofficial port of the Android 4.2.2 based CM10.1 custom ROM firmware has now been made available for US Cellular version of Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Though it’s the unofficial CM10.1 ROM but the platform is pretty stable and would run smoothly on your Note 2 model number SCH-R950.
The CyanogenMod is one the most popular custom firmware developed for the Android OS, offering features that cannot be enjoyed in the default versions of the Jelly Bean stock. Since this is an unofficial custom ROM, there might some minor bugs, but be sure that they are being resolved as the development progresses.
Important: this tutorial is only for the US cellular variant of Samsung Galaxy Note 2 model SCH-R950. Please do not try on any other Android models.
Prerequisites before you update Galaxy Note 2 to CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy Note 2 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that some recovery tool like ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Note 2 carries more than 80% of charge.
Update Galaxy Note 2 to CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean:
- Connect your Galaxy Note 2 with your computer using a data cable as you need to copy paste the downloaded files on your device.
- Disconnect the device and switch it off.
- Now you would be needed to reboot it in to the recovery mode menu. Do it by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and the Power buttons simultaneously until the Samsung logo comes up. Use the Volume keys to highlight and the Power button to select.
- Perform the data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and finally wipe dalvik cache.
- Go back the main menu and select install zip from sd card and then choose zip from sd card. Locate the firmware file and flash it.
- Repeat the above step for installing Google Apps Package.
- Once installed, go back and select reboot system now to boot in to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CM10.1.
That’s it. Your Galaxy Note 2 SCH-R950 is now running the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean CM10.1 custom ROM.