Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 users can now upgrade their devices to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware. We will be using the PACman build 22.1.1 custom ROM to update our Galaxy Note 2. PACman packages the most popular features of Paranoid Android, AOKP and CM 10.1 like Hybrid framework, AOSP 3.15, per app DPI and color, PIE controls, hardware key controls, lock screen shortcuts and much more. Though this is not an official upgrade but you can still update your Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to get the most of the latest Android OS.
Note: since this is a custom ROM in development stages so we are expecting some bugs and issues at this stage. Though they are often taken care of as the development progresses.
Prerequisites before you update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Android 4.2.2 PACman Custom ROM:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy Note 2 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that custom recovery tool (CWM or TWRP) is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 carries more than 70% of charge.
PACman custom ROM to update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean:
- Connect your Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to computer using USB cable and mount the storage.
- Copy the downloaded zip files to the SD card of your Note 2 – do not extract any file.
- Disconnect your device and turn it off.
- Boot the Note 2 into recovery mode: press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down and the Power button simultaneously. Hold these until the screen flashes and then release all the keys. Use volume keys to navigate and power key to select any option.
- Next we will perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM on Note 2. It is an important step to restore back later if this new ROM does not work or you want to move back. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Now we will be performing the wipe operations. Select wipe data/factory reset, and then confirm on the next screen. Once done, come back to main menu and select wipe cache partition and finally wipe the dalvik cache by selecting Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
- Next, select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the n7100_PAC_JB_4.2.2-v22.1.1_20130425-224403.zip file downloaded earlier and confirm the installation on next screen.
- Once the ROM installation completes successfully, repeat the above step for the GApps file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When installation is done, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot the Note 2 into the new PACman v22.1.1. First boot takes a few minutes, so give it enough time to settle your things.
Ta da! Your Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 is now updated to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based PACman v22.1.1 custom ROM. Go to settings > about phone to verify the update and have fun with the new features!