Update AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Carbon ROM
The latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat can now be downloaded for Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 (AT&T) unofficially. The latest firmware can be flashed using custom ROM Carbon ROM which is developed by the Team Carbon and has many awesome features.
- Android 4.4.2,
- Comprehensive speed enhancements, including Linaro -O3 and processor-specific optimizations,
- My Colors,
- Customizable lock-screen buttons and sliders,
- Recent Apps,
- Customizable hardware and software keys, navbar ring, customizable power menu,
- Notification power widget, LCD density and more!
Note: The custom Carbon ROM based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat is still under development and may contain certain bugs and issues. All issues will be resolved though as the development progresses.
Important: For those asking us to try tutorials on other Android devices, please ONLY try on the devices and model numbers mentioned in the posts or you might get your device hard bricked. This guide is only for updating Galaxy S4, modeled I337 on AT&T. Please do not try this guide on any other device. You can check your device’s model number in: Settings > About phone.
Prerequisites before you update Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Carbon ROM:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S4 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S4 carries more than 80% of charge.
Guide to Update AT&T Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 to Android 4.4.2 KitKat Carbon ROM
- Connect Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 to your computer using USB cable and copy the downloaded file to the SD card of your handset. Do not extract any files.
- Disconnect USB and turn your Galaxy S4 off. Boot in to custom recovery mode by pressing holding Volume Up, Down and the Power buttons simultaneously until the Samsung logo shows up. Leave the buttons for half a second and hold again. Use Volume keys to highlight and Power button to select. Alternatively you can use Quick Boot app to reboot your Android device in recovery mode.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM to be restored later if this new ROM does not work or you want to move back. Select Backup and Restore > Backup. Go to recovery menu after backup process is done. – very important step.
- Wipe the data now by going to wipe data/factory reset > Yes path. It will take a few minutes until the data wiping is completed. Come back to the main CMW recovery menu and select wipe cache partition, once it’s finished, tap on Advance > wipe Dalvik Cache to wipe Dalvik cache data.
- Now from sdcard, select install zip from sdcard and choose zip from sdcard. Locate the CARBON-KK-NIGHTLY-20140215-0254-jflteatt.zip – USAfile copied earlier and select it by pressing power button. Select yes to confirm installation and wait for the ROM installation completion.
- Once installation process is done, repeat the above step but choose gapps-kk-20140105-signed.zip file instead of the ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When Gapps installation is finished, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot up into the latest custom firmware Carbon ROM based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat. It will take a bit of time during the first time, please be patient.
Note: If you want to return to Previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
Ta da! We are done with flashing our Galaxy S4 AT&T SGH-I337 smartphone to the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat based custom ROM Carbon ROM.