Update and Root Nexus 9 on MRA58K Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Google made the Android 6.0 Marshmallow factory images live a few hours ago. Android Marshmallow brings several feature enhancements, including some amazing battery modes. Follow this guide to install and root Nexus 9 on Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K.
Prerequisites to install and root Nexus 9 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow:
- Create a backup of all important data on your Nexus 9 device. Creating a Nandroid backup of your device is highly recommended.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 9 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
Make sure that Fastboot and ADB are installed on your system and you have experience working with them.
- Ensure that your Nexus 9 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to install Android 6.0 MRA58K on Nexus 9:
Required files: download Android 6 Marshmallow factory images for Nexus 9:
Once downloaded, follow these steps to install Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow on Nexus 9:
- Connect your Nexus 9 using a USB cable and turn it off.
- Now, start the device in Fastboot mode (assuming that you have Fastboot and ADB already set up and ready to use): press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons.
- Go to the downloaded folder volantis-MRA58K and copy / paste all the files to your Fastboot directory. Your Fastboot directory should be the platform-tools folder in the Android SDK directory.
- From the factory images files in your Fastboot directory, run the following command depending on your operating system:
- On Windows: Run flash-all.bat
- On Mac: Run flash-all.sh using Terminal
- On Linux: Run flash-all.sh
- Once the script finishes running, your Nexus device will reboot. All you need to do now is to lock the bootloader back for security.
How to root Nexus 9 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow:
Here are the required files and steps to help you root Nexus 9 on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow.
- Download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
- Download ElementalX Kernel and SuperSU v2.49 (BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip) for Nexus 9 on your PC.
- Download TWRP or CWM recovery tool.
- Finally, download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS:
Step 1: Extract the downloaded Fastboot file in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your PC. Create directory if not already there.
Step 2: Connect your Nexus 9 to your computer via USB.
Step 3: Copy and paste ElementalX-N9-3.00.zip and BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip files to the root folder of the SD card of your Nexus 9.
Step 4: Turn your Nexus 9 off and download TWRP on your computer. Save it to your android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your computer.
Step 5: Enter the Bootloader mode: turn your Nexus 9 on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power keys.
Step 6: Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
- fastboot flash recovery twrp.img-18.104.22.168-flounder – press Enter.
Step 7: Once done, enter recovery mode by choosing Recovery from the Fastboot menu.
Step 8: In the recovery mode, scroll to flash zip from SD card > choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9: Using the volume keys, locate the ElementalX zip file and select it. Confirm the installation process.
Step 10: Once done, repeat the steps 8 and 9 for BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip file as well.
Step 11: After installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your Nexus 9. First boot may take a few minutes so please be patient.
Your Nexus 9 is now rooted on Android 6.0 MRA58K Marshmallow. Let us know how it behaves on your Nexus device and if you are already loving it.