Unlock Metal Gear Solid V’s Frame-Rate with this New Mod; Play as Quiet using this Tweak
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain has been available for a few days for both old-gen and currect-gen consoles as well as the PC and has been gathering praise from most major publications and users on all platforms. The scalability of the Hideo Kojima developed Fox Engine, has enabled the game to perform admirably well on all platforms, while looking exceptional at the same time. The PC version provides some added visual enhancements, that give it the edge over the current-gen console versions, although some PC gamers have shown their disappointment over the game’s locked frame rate.
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain does run at 60fps, but users that demand a little bit more and want to take full advantage of their 120/144Hz monitor, have been rather upset over the frame-rate cap. Fortunately, a way to unlock it has been made available, and according to reports, it does not affect the game’s physics.
You can follow the guide below (provided by NeoGAF‘s member ‘Alo81’) to unlock Metal Gear Solid V’s frame rate.
Additionally NeoGAF’s member ‘rhayader’ has shared a way to switch Big Boss’ Solid Snake costume from MGS1 with Quiet.
Download the file and follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to your “Steam\steamapps\common\MGS_TPP\master\” fodler
- Extract this archive in there, so you should see two new subfolders: “Assets” and “QAR Tool”
- Backup the file named chunk0.dat as it will be overriden
- Open the “QAR Tool” folder in a new window (by the way, QAR Tool is from http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12407&start=285)
- Drag and Drop “chunk0.dat” over “MGSV_QAR_Tool.exe” to extract the contents from chunk0.dat.
- Now you should have a new subfolder named “chunk0” as well as a new file “chunk0.inf”
- Drag and drop the “Assets” folder from step 2 inside the new “chunk0” folder. It should ask you to merge folders and override one file, namely “plparts_mgs1.fpk”. Hit “yes” to everything
- Last step: Drag and drop “chunk0.inf” (INF, not .dat) over “MGSV_QAR_Tool.exe” to repack the contents. This will recreate a new chunk0.dat and should take around 1 minute]
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is Kojima’s final Metal Gear masterpiece
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is available on the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PC. We will bring you any new information regarding Metal Gear Solid V, Konami and Hideo Kojima as soon as it becomes available.