Unlock Your Mac with Apple Watch Running macOS Sierra & watchOS 3 – How to
Here’s how you can unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch. You will require watchOS 3 and macOS Sierra installed on your devices.
With watchOS 3 Running on Your Apple Watch, You Can Unlock Your Mac Running macOS Sierra With Utmost Ease
With every new software release, Apple finds a brand new way to make its platforms work together in harmony. For instance, with the release of watchOS 3 and macOS Sierra, Apple introduced a feature allowing your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac as soon as you woke it up. It’s a convenience which no one can deny. And in today’s guide, we will show you how to set up the feature and get you up to speed running in no time.
Note: This tutorial is only applicable if you have watchOS 3 installed on your Apple Watch and macOS Sierra on your Mac. If you fail to fulfill even one of those requirements, you are absolutely out of luck. Last but not the least, your Mac and your Apple Watch should be set up using the same Apple ID as well. If it’s not, then again, you are out of luck.
Make sure Bluetooth is turned on your Mac before going ahead as well. This is an essential requirement. You can turn it on either from the menu bar, or by going to System Preferences > Bluetooth, then click on Turn Bluetooth On.
1. With your Apple Watch all set up and ready to go, connected with your iPhone, launch System Preference on your Mac. You can do so by clicking on the Apple icon in the menu bar then System Preferences.
2. Now click on Security & Privacy.
3. Select the General tab at the top.
4. Now select the ‘Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac’ option. Also make sure you set the Require password duration to Immediately. It’s entirely your choice though.
5. Close System Preferences.
If you want to try out whether or not the feature is working, simply put your Mac to sleep and wake it up with your Apple Watch on your wrist. You should see a spinner on the display with the text ‘Unlocking with Apple Watch.’ That’s confirmation enough to let you know that the feature works like a charm.
While this feature might not blow everyone’s mind, but for some it’s a convenience that can go a long way in adding to the overall experience of using the Apple Watch and Mac.