After being taken over from Microsoft and going through a bumpy ride of bugs, Skype has finally struck back on yet another device and this time it’s the iPad* for which people have waited for a long time. Previously scheduled for a June release, the official Skype app didn’t find its way into the App Store due to some unknown reasons until now. The application brings every feature from the iPhone version to a larger display on the iPad. These include instant messaging, video calls and audio calls over both Wi-Fi and 3G connections.
The app can be downloaded from the App Store as ‘Skype for iPad’ and not as an update to Skype for iPhone or iPod Touch. It is however free and available worldwide. The new Skype for iPad app also takes full advantage of the iPad 2′s dual cameras, allowing users to talk face-to-face with the iPad’s front camera or switch to the rear camera to show what they can see along with other iPad optimized features listed below:
- Two-way video calling:** With Skype video calling available on iPhones, as well as in Skype for Android, Skype for Mac, Skype for Windows, Skype on HDTVs and more – you can connect to over 170 million Skype connected users worldwide**.
- Instant messaging: You can even instant message during a video call on your iPad, with emoticons to personalize your message.
- Simple to view contacts: Contacts are now displayed in a grid on Skype for iPad, showing large avatar photos – making it easy to find your contacts and conversations.
- Easy navigation: Find your recent Skype conversations and history at the touch of a button making searching simple.
- Simple SMS texting: An SMS text message can be sent by simply opening a contact and selecting SEND SMS or by opening the dial pad, typing in the number you wish to SMS and then typing your message.
Skype for iPad also allows users to call landlines and mobiles using Skype’s great low rates – all a user needs is a little Skype Credit. Skype for iPad works across both 3G and Wi-Fi networks and also allows users to make voice and video calls across platforms from their iPad to other Skype users on iPhones, Mac, Windows, HDTVs and more.*Requires iOS 4.0 or above **Two way video calling is not available for 1st Generation iPad users. They can only receive video calls.