How to Root Nexus 6P, 5X, 6, 5 on MHC19Q, MMB29X Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
Have you installed the April security patch on your Nexus devices? Follow this guide to root MHC19Q and MMB29X Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, and Nexus 5. Before proceeding, check this guide to flash MMB29X, MHC19Q Android 6.0.1 on your Nexus devices.
Prerequisites to root MHC19Q, MMB29X Android 6.0.1:
- Create a backup of all important data on your Nexus device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus in your computer.
- The Nexus bootloader should be unlocked.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Ensure that your Nexus device carries more than 70% of charge.
How to root MHC19Q / MMB29X Android 6.0.1:
Required files: download Android SDK and install it. Set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Download SuperSU v2.66 for Nexus on your PC. Also, download Fastboot from the following links, depending on your OS:
While the above links work for all the Nexus devices, following links are specific to the devices:
- Nexus 6P: TWRP 220.127.116.11. Save it to the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your computer.
- Nexus 5X: TWRP
- Nexus 6: Download TWRP 18.104.22.168
- Nexus 5: Download CWM 22.214.171.124.5
Step 1: Extract the downloaded Fastboot file in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory on your PC. Create directory if not already there.
Step 2: Connect your Nexus device to your computer via USB.
Step 3: Copy and paste SuperSu file to your device’s SD card root folder.
Step 4: Turn your Nexus off.
Step 5: Enter the Bootloader mode: power your Nexus on while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power keys.
Step 6: Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command depending on your device:
- Nexus 6P: fastboot flash recovery twrp-126.96.36.199-angler.img
- Nexus 5X: fastboot flash recovery twrp-188.8.131.52-bullhead.img
- Nexus 6: fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-184.108.40.206-shamu.img
- Nexus 5: fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11.5-hammerhead.img
Step 7: Once done, enter recovery mode by choosing Recovery from the Fastboot menu.
Step 8: In the recovery mode (CWM or TWRP), scroll to flash zip from SD card > choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9: Using the volume keys, locate SuperSU zip file and select it. Confirm the installation process.
Step 10: After installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your Nexus device. First boot may take a few minutes.
Ta da! Your Nexus devices are now rooted on MHC19Q, MMB29X Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. You can verify the root with any Root Checker app.