Root CM 10.1 Nightly on US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970
The CM team started rolling out CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly builds for Samsung Galaxy S4 models. US Cellular can now also be flashed with CM10.1 nightly. CyanogenMod is a very popular custom firmware and supports a bulk of devices from Galaxy S to the very recent Galaxy S4 models. The ROM is updated quite often and bugs are also taken care of with constant development.
Important: this guide is specifically written for US Cellular Galaxy S4 model SCH-R970, please do not try it on any other devices or models. Please check CM10.1 for Verizon, CyanogenMod for T-Mobile, CM 10.1 for Sprint SGS4 and CM10.1 for AT&T to flash CyanogenMod on other Galaxy S4 models.
Prerequisites to root CM 10.1 Nightly on US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S4 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery or TWRP is installed.
- Ensure that your SGS4 carries more than 70% of charge.
Guide to root CM 10.1 Nightly on US Cellular Galaxy S4 SCH-R970:
- Connect your smartphone with the computer using the USB data cable and copy both these files on your Galaxy S4.
- Disconnect US Cellular Galaxy S4 from the PC and switch it off to boot it into the recovery mode: press the volume up, home and power buttons simultaneously – release when the Samsung logo shows up.
- From the recovery mode menu, select wipe data/factory reset option and confirm the operation. Select the wipe cache partition to clear the cache and wipe dalvik cache to clear dalvik.
- Now, flash the ROM file: select install zip from sdcard and follow by taping on the choose zip from the sdcard option. Locate the CM10.1 for Galaxy S4 ROM file and confirm installation.
- Once done, repeat the above step and install the Google Apps package file instead of the firmware file.
- Now go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to boot your US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-R970 to the newly flashed CM 10.1 Nightly mode.
Congrats for upgrading to one of the most popular custom firmware!
Get Latest Tech News Daily
We cater to your constant need to remain up to date on today’s technology. Like us, tweet to us or +1 us, to keep up with our round the clock updates, reviews, guides and more.