Root and Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S3
Today in this tutorial we will write about steps to root and install CWM recovery tool on LTE variants of Samsung Galaxy S3: carriers like T-Mobile, Sprint, Rogers and AT&T with ICS and Jelly Bean firmware. You can root your Samsung Galaxy S3 in a very easy and rather fun way.
This tutorial can be used with following Galaxy S3 models: SGH-T999, SPH-L710, and SCH-I747.
Note: note that rooting your device will void its warranty so follow this post on your own risk. It might also soft brick your phone. So please carefully follow all the precautionary steps.
Prerequisites before you root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S3:
- Charge you SGS3 to at least 70% of battery level.
- Rooting does not wipe any data from your device but we recommend that you create backup of all your important data in your Galaxy S3.
- Make sure that Samsung USB Drivers for SGS3 are installed on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging: Settings > Developer options.
How to root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy S3 LTE:
Required files: download ODIN (Odin3-V3.07.Zip) and extract in your PC. Download CWM recovery (CWM-Recovery-LTE-SGS3-V5.Tar.Md5). Finally, download the rooting package (TeamEpic-Root-From-Recovery-V5.Zip), do not extract it and copy it on your SGS3’s memory.
- Switch off your SGS3 and boot it into Download mode: hold the Volume Down, Home and Power keys simultaneously for a few seconds till you get a warning screen. Now press the Volume Up key to enter into the Download Mode.
- Run the Odin exe from the earlier downloaded file and connect your Samsung Galaxy S3 to computer. Once connected the ID:COM port at Odin box will turn blue and you see an Added!!.
- Make sure to deselect the Auto Reboot and click on the PDA button. Select the CWM recovery zip file and hit the Start button on Odin. The installation will take a few seconds finishing the first part.
- Now we need to reboot the device to boot it into the CWM mode: press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power keys together. Keep these keys pressed until your phone vibrates and you see the Samsung logo with the device name. Release the power key then but keep the other 2 keys pressed till you see a menu in blue text. Use the Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select.
- Next, scroll down to install zip from sdcard and select the rooting package file TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-v5.zip and confirm the installation.
- When it is successfully installed, go back and select reboot system now.
- Once the phone boots in, you will get a Android is upgrading.. message, once finished you will see the lockscreen. Open the app drawer and launch the SuperSU app from there and update its binary if prompted.
Congrats! Your awesome Samsung Galaxy S3 is now rooted. Install the Root Checker app to confirm.