Record iPhone And iPad Screen Using OS X – How To
Here’s how you can record your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch display using OS X. For this whole process to work, you don’t need to jailbreak your device at all, and you do not need to install any third-party software.
Given how things stand currently, you can record an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch’s display if you’re jailbroken and have the right tweak installed. But quite frankly, going through the process of jailbreaking is not a walk in the park for everyone, and users love it when such great features are offered at a stock level, and guess what? Screen recording actually is available at a stock level, provided you have a Mac with you, of course.
Recording your iOS device’s screen is fairly easy, and we’ll walk you through the process in detail.
Record iPhone, iPad Display Using OS X
- A USB cable to connect your iOS device with your Mac
- A Mac running OS X Yosemite
If you fulfill the above mentioned prerequisites then you’re good to go.
1. Connect your iOS device to your Mac using a USB cable.
2. Launch the QuickTime Player app on your Mac.
3. In the Mac menu bar, click on ‘File’ and then select ‘New Movie Recording.’
4. QuickTime will now activate your Mac’s front facing camera and is now ready to record. But we don’t want to record the camera, we want to record our iPhone or iPad’s display, so click on the little downward facing arrow next to the ‘record’ button and select your iPhone or iPad as the camera source.
5. Your iOS device’s display will pop up straight on your Mac, ready to be recorded. Simply click on the ‘record’ button to do so. Clicking the same button again will stop the recording.
6. Click on ‘File’ in the Mac menu bar again, and then ‘Save’ if you wish to save your recording to view at a later date.
The process is actually quite simple to follow, given that you don’t need to jailbreak your iOS device, and no third-party software is involved in the whole deal.
We really wish Apple had implemented screen recording in such a way that a Mac was not at all needed in the equation. But we have our hopes high that Apple would deliver on that as well in a future update of iOS. Till then, you have the above steps to fulfill your screen recording needs.
Found this guide useful? Then drop us a comment below!