How To Lock / Password Protect Notes On Mac – Tutorial
Here’s how you can lock down (password protect) your notes created in Notes app on Mac OS X El Capitan.
With the release of iOS 9.3 and OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan, Apple brought to the table a new party trick, allowing users to lock down / password protect their notes in the official Notes app for safekeeping. While we have already covered in detail how the feature works in iOS 9.3, today we’ll be covering the very same for OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan.
Without further ado, let’s jump right into action!
Here’s How To Password Protect / Lock Down Your Notes On Your Mac
1. First and foremost, make sure you have OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan installed onto your Mac. Click on the ‘Apple’ logo in the menu bar, and then click on ‘About this Mac.’ Under the ‘Overview’ tab, just check the version number of OS X El Capitan running on your Mac.
If you haven’t installed OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan already then you can do so directly from the Mac App Store. It’s absolutely free and worth the upgrade.
2. With that out of the way, launch the Notes app on your Mac.
3. Create a new note or select to open an existing one.
4. See the ‘Lock’ button as shown in the screenshot? Click on it, and then click on ‘Lock This Note.’
5. You’ll be required to enter your password at this point, so do so when prompted for it, then click ‘OK.’
6. Click on the ‘Lock’ icon again and then ‘Close All Locked Notes’ to hide the contents of the note from being viewed as well.
7. Simply right-click on the locked note and then click on ‘Remove Lock’ and enter your password to unlock your note. Simple.
Locking down / password protected notes are extremely handy if you have a lot of personal information at hand and don’t want to fall victim to a privacy breach. With OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan or iOS 9.3, you can rest assured that things will be as watertight as they ever can be.
We highly recommend that users make use of this feature at every given point, after all, there’s nothing better keeping things under a proper lock. The best thing about this feature, without a doubt, is the fact that it’s absolutely free for all users. You can’t deny that at any cost, right?
If you found the above guide useful, then be sure to let us know about it in the comments section below.