iOS 11 Doubles Down on User Privacy By Giving Users More Control on Location Access
Worried that some apps might be snooping in on your in the background? With iOS 11, you don’t have to worry about that at all.
Apple Tightens the Noose for Apps in iOS 11 When it Comes to Location Access
Whenever you grant location access to an app in iOS, there’s a high chance that it will keep on working in the background, checking in on your location periodically. While the app might do so to in name of ‘experience,’ but it’s a privacy hazard for a lot of people out there. Thankfully, with iOS 11, Apple is extending a feature of iOS 10 to a point that it’s available for every single app out there.
See, with iOS 10, Apple introduced a location access option called ‘While Using the App.’ With this selected, said app would only have access to the location when it’s on the display and in use by the user. Oddly enough, this feature was not available for every single app out there, until now.
With iOS 11, Apple saw it fit to bring this option for every app out there. This means that you can rest assured that no one will be snooping in on you in the background regardless of your location. But of course, who knows some clever bloke might end up finding a loophole in that implementation as well. Still, it’s a good start, and something which Apple deserves an applause for.
Apart from the obvious privacy related concern, this implementation will impact another part of your device: battery life. With no control over location access before, your device could end up gobbling up battery life there’s no tomorrow. With the new option enabled, things will be more sane than before.
Before you head out, make sure you check out the following:
- Download the New iOS 11 & macOS High Sierra Wallpapers
- iOS 11 Comes with a Built-in Screen Recorder – One Less Reason to Jailbreak
- Is iOS 11 Beta Faster than iOS 10.3.2? Here’s a Speed Test Comparison
- Download iOS 11 Beta for iPhone & iPad – How to Install Right Now
- How to Downgrade iOS 11 Beta to iOS 10 – iPhone & iPad Tutorial
- iOS 11 Can Play FLAC Files on iPhone & iPad – Here’s How
- iOS 11 Beta Features Dark Mode – Here’s How to Enable it