Install SlimKat Android 4.4 Kit Kat Custom ROM for Google Nexus 4 – How to
The Google Nexus 4 has been one of the best selling Google Phones, since its release. And now we have already got it hooked to the SlimKat team’s alpha SlimKat custom ROM based on Android 4.4 Kit Kat. Flash this custom firmware on your Nexus 4 if you want the vanilla features, tools and tonnes of new capabilities on your Google Nexus 4 phone.
- Download and install USB drivers for Nexus 4 on your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- Your Nexus 4 should be unlocked and rooted.
- You should have a custom recovery tool installed on your Nexus.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Google Nexus 4 carries more than 70% of charge.
Note: this detailed tutorial to flash SlimKat on Nexus 4 is specifically written for the new Nexus 4 , NOT the classic Asus Nexus 4.
How to install SlimKat Android 4.4 Custom ROM for Google Nexus 4
- In order to be able to install Android 4.4 Kit Kat Custom Rom on your phone, you will first need to upgrade the CWM to the latest 18.104.22.168 or above version.
- Connect your Google Nexus 4 with the PC, via USB cable.
- Download the afore mentioned SlimKat Android 4.4 Kit Kat Custom ROM and copy it to the SD card of your phone.
- Disconnect your phone and switch it off. And make sure that you wait 5-6 seconds to complete the power down cycle.
- Now, you will boot the Nexus 4 into recovery mode, by pressing and holding down the Volume Up button, alongside Home and the Power button, until the screen flashes, release the three buttons then. After a few seconds of that, the phone will enter recovery mode.
- Once in the recovery mode, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This is necessary, to enable you to recover your current ROM install, just in case the new ROM does not perform according to your liking. In order to perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Once done, select wipe data/factory reset, select ‘Yes’ on next screen to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes your data. Once complete, go back to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Return to the main recovery menu and select Install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from sdcard. Locate the downloaded SlimKat Android 4.4 custom firmware file for Google Nexus 4 and confirm the installation.
- Select install zip from sdcard, then select choose zip from sdcard. Now, locate the 6712-slim-mako-4-4-alpha-1-5-official file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by pressing Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes. Install the said zip file on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
- Once, the phone finishes installing the ROM, you need to re-do step 7, but choose gapps-jb-20131107-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
- When GApps get installed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot up into customized Android 4.4 Kit Kat ROM CM 11 Beta-Build. The first boot will take time, so be patient!
- In case your device gets stuck into bootloop: boot to recovery and select wipe data factory reset and wipe cache partition.
Your Google Nexus 4 is now proudly sporting the SlimKat Android 4.4 custom ROM! In case you own a Google Nexus 5, you can find tips and tricks for it at AndroidPit.