CyanogenMod creator released the first Nightly version of the custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy S4. The ROM is in experimental stages and is being updated on daily basis. Being one the most popular aftermarket ROMs, SGS4 users were surely waiting for this sort of good news. So let’s not wait anymore and install this nightly build on SGS4.
Important: this guide is specifically written for Sprint Galaxy S4 model SPH-L720, please do not try it on any other devices or models. For others please check CM10.1 for Verizon, CyanogenMod for T-Mobile and CM10.1 for AT&T.
Pre-reqs to install CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly on Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy S4 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery or TWRP is installed.
- Ensure that your SGS4 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to install CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly on Sprint Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 Android 4.2.2:
- Connect your Galaxy S4 with the PC using the USB data cable and copy both of these files on your Galaxy S4.
- Disconnect Galaxy S4 L720 from the computer and switch it off to boot it into the recovery mode: press and hold the volume up, home and power buttons simultaneously – release when the Samsung logo shows up.
- From the recovery mode menu, wipe data: select wipe data/factory reset option and confirm the operation. Then select the wipe cache partition to clear the cache and wipe dalvik cache to clear dalvik too.
- Flash the ROM file now: select install zip from sdcard followed by choose zip from the sdcard option. Locate the CM10.1 ROM file for Sprint Galaxy S4 and confirm installation.
- Once installation is completed successfully, repeat the above step and install the Google Apps package file instead of the OS file.
- Once done, go back to main menu and select reboot system now to boot your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 SPH-L720 to the newly flashed CM 10.1 Nightly mode.
Ta da! Your Galaxy S4 is now running the popular CyanogenMod!