Samsung Galaxy S3 model SCH-I535 on Verizon started receiving the unofficial Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean CarbonRom. A very popular developing team in Android world known as Team Carbon developed this well-customized and rich with features custom ROM named CarbonRom.
A few of the prominent Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean features include:
- Gesture typing
- Quick setting options
- Lock-screen widget
- Multi-user support
- Renovated camera app
- Photo Sphere
- Miracast display
- Improved Google Now & much more.
Some features from the endless list of customized features of CarbonRom:
- Comprehensive speed enhancements, including Linaro -O3 and processor-specific optimizations
- Option to hide lockscreen hints
- Carousel lock-screen
- Customizable lockscreen buttons and sliders
- Navigation bar widgets
- Customizable power menu
- Notification power widget
- Notification brightness adjustment
- Customizable quicksettings panel
- Statusbar mods including center clock and color
- LCD Density
- Theme engine
- Quiet hours
- Volume rocker music controls
- Full Rotation
- Customizable battery and notification light
CarbonRom includes many amazing features from CM10.1, AOKP and Slim Bean custom ROM. Since Galaxy SIII is capable enough to run the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, you can try this custom CarbonRom if you are looking to upgrade your Galaxy S3 device to Jelly Bean 4.2.1. Follow this very easy step by step guide to install Android 4.2.1 CarbonRom on Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 (Verizon).
Important: This custom ROM namely CarbonRom is based on Android Jelly Bean 4.2.1 and is still under development. Which means it may contain certain bugs are issues which would be resolved as development progresses.
Pre requisites before updating Galaxy S3 i535 to Android 4.2.1 CarbonRom:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Galaxy device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Galaxy SIII in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Development option to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- Make sure that ClockworkMod recovery is installed.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S3 carries more than 80% of charge.
How to install Android 4.2.1 CarbonRom on Samsung Galaxy S3 i535:
Download these required files before starting the installation process:
- Connect your phone to your computer using USB cable.
- Copy downloaded files to the SD card of your Galaxy S3. Do not extract them.
- Disconnect USB, turn off your device.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Power & Home button simultaneously until the Samsung logo shows up, leave all three buttons for a second or less and hold them again, to boot in to ClockworkMod recovery mode. Use Volume keys to browse between options in recovery mode and use Power key to select any option.
- Perform a Nandroid backup of your current ROM so that you can restore it later if the new ROM doesn’t work or you decide to switch back. Select Backup and Restore, on next screen select backup. Go back to main recovery menu once backup is done.
- Select wipe data/factory reset to perform data wiping task. It will take a few minutes. Come back to main CWM menu and select wipe cache partition, once this process is done, go to advance and select wipe Dalvik cache.
- Now select Install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard. Locate and select the earlier downloaded Carbon-JB-v1.0-06FEB2013-201221-d2vzw.zip file. Confirm installation and the ROM installation will begin.
- Once the ROM installation ends, repeat the above step but this time choose gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file instead of the ROM file to install the Google apps package.
- When Gapps installation finishes, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone and boot in the new customized CarbonRom ROM. First boot takes time so stay a bit patient.
Tada! Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROM CarbonRom is now installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 (Verizon) device. Enjoy this new ROM and latest Android firmware.
Note: To return to Previous ROM, boot into recovery mode, select backup and restore, and select your previous ROM from the list to resume back to it.