Nov 3, 2016
Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5
Prerequisites to update Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM:
- Download and install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- You should have a custom recovery tool like TWRP or CWM installed on your device
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F carries more than 70% of charge.
How to update Galaxy S5 G900F to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow:
- Reboot your SGS5 into Recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power keys until the screen flashes. After a few seconds, your phone will enter recovery mode.
- Once in the recovery mode, take a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. This is necessary to enable you to recover your current ROM if you don’t like the new firmware. In order to perform a backup, select Backup and Restore > Backup again. Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Once done, select wipe data/factory reset > Yes to confirm your action. Wait for a few minutes until the phone wipes your data. Once complete, go back to CWM recovery menu and Wipe Cache Partition and then Wipe Dalvik Cache too.
- Next, Select install zip from sdcard > choose a zip from SD card. Locate the Android 6.0.1 custom ROM and select it by pressing the Power button. Confirm installation by selecting Yes. The ROM installation will now begin.
- Once the phone finishes installing the ROM, you need to repeat the above step to install GApps on your SGS5.
- When done, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone to the latest firmware