Update and Root Nexus 9 on Android Marshmallow MPA44G Preview 3 – How to
Android Marshmallow MPA44G Developer Preview 3 is now available for Nexus 9. You will be receiving this last preview built over-the-air in the coming few days. However, if you want to manually flash Android MPA4GG on Nexus 9, following guide will help you with the process. It is further added on with the steps to root your Nexus 9 on Android Marshmallow MPA44G developer preview.
– Recommended: Download All the New Android Marshmallow Wallpapers
Prerequisites to root and update Nexus 9 on MPA44G Android Marshmallow:
- Create a backup of all important data in your Nexus device.
- Download and install USB drivers for Google Nexus in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging option by pressing Menu > Settings > Applications. Navigate and tap on Developer Options to ensure that USB Debugging is enabled.
- If you are going to root, make sure to have a custom recovery tool like CWM, or TWRP (download link).
- Ensure that your Nexus 9 carries more than 70% of charge.
How to flash Android 6.0 MPA44G on Nexus 9:
Required files: download Android Marshmallow MPA44G for Nexus 9.
Step 1: Connect your Nexus 9 to your PC using the USB cable making sure that Fastboot is installed on your computer.
Step 2: Turn off your tablet and get into the Fastboot / Bootloader mode: power Nexus 9 on while pressing and holding the Volume Up + Power keys.
Step 3: Extract the downloaded file on your computer and go to the folder volantis-MPA44G. Copy paste all the files to your Fastboot directory (most likely the Platform-tools folder in Android SDK directory).
Step 4: In the Fastboot directory containing the factory images, run the following files depending on your operating system.
- On Windows: Run the file flash-all.bat.
- On Mac: Run flash-all.sh using Terminal.
- On Linux: Run the file flash-all.sh.
Step 5: Let the factory images flash on your Nexus 9 and follow the on-screen instructions. Once the installation completes, your Nexus 9 will reboot. First boot may take around 5 minutes.
How to Root Nexus 9 on Android Marshmallow MPA44G:
Once you have updated your Nexus 9 to the third developer Preview of Android 6.0, here is how to root your device.
Required files: download Android SDK and install it. Also set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK. Download ElementalX Kernel and SuperSU v2.49 (BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip) for Nexus 9 on your PC. Finally, download Fastboot from the following links depending on your OS:
Step 1: Extract the downloaded Fastboot file in android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
Step 2: Connect your Nexus 9 with your computer via USB.
Step 3: Copy paste ElementalX-N9-3.00.zip and BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip files to your tablet’s SD card root folder.
Step 4: Turn your tablet off.
Step 5: Enter the Bootloader mode: turn your Nexus 9 on while pressing and holding Volume Down + Power keys.
Step 6: Go to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt) and type the following command:
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-18.104.22.168-flounder.img and press Enter.
Step 7: Once done, choose Recovery from the Fastboot menu.
Step 8: In the recovery mode, scroll to flash zip from SD card > choose zip from sdcard.
Step 9: Using the volume keys, locate the ElementalX-N9-3.00.zip and select it. Confirm the installation process.
Step 10: Once done, repeat the above steps 8 and 9 for BETA-SuperSU-v2.49.zip file as well.
Step 11: After installation is completed, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your Nexus 9. First boot may take a few minutes so please be patient.
Ta da! Enjoy the Marshmallow sweetness on your Nexus 9.
– You can use the same steps on other supported Nexus devices by downloading factory images from here: Direct Download Links of Android Marshmallow MPA44G Preview 3 for Nexus 5, 6, 9 and Nexus Player