How to Unbrick Galaxy S3
Often times, Android devices get bricked during rooting, installation of custom recoveries or flashing of custom ROMs. Bricking has two types: soft and hard brick. While hard brick cannot be fixed without OEM support, you can unbrick the soft brick easily. If you have US variant Samsung Galaxy S3, here is a fix for you: simply install the stock boot image and you’ll be reverted back to working status.
Note: this fix is just for GSM boot image bricked device, and only for US variant of Samsung Galaxy S3.
Prerequisites: use windows PC and also install USB drivers for your Galaxy S3 on the computer.
How to unbrick Galaxy S3:
Required files: download Odin3 from this link and stock image according to your carrier. Do not extract the file though. T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 stock image, AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 stock image, and Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 stock image.
- Unzip the Odin file and run the .exe file with Admin rights.
- In Odin check Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. Make sure that Re-Partition is unchecked. Do not make any other changes in Odin.
- Turn your Samsung Galaxy S3 off and reboot the device into download mode: press and hold Home + Volume down buttons and then press the Power button for some 2 seconds until a warning screen shows up. Now press Volume Up which will take you to downloading mode.
- Once you are in download mode, plug the Galaxy S3 to PC using USB cable. If connected successfully, Odin will detect the device, ID:COM will turn yellow and a message saying ADDED!! will appear.
- Now click on PDA button in Odin screen and locate the .tar file that you downloaded earlier according to carrier. Click on Start button to initiate installation.
- Once the installation is completed successfully, your US Galaxy S3 will reboot itself. You will also see a message saying PASS in Odin.
- Now you can disconnect your device from the computer.
That’s it! Hope you got your Samsung Galaxy S3 unbricked following this step by step guide.
Get Latest Tech News Daily
We cater to your constant need to remain up to date on today’s technology. Like us, tweet to us or +1 us, to keep up with our round the clock updates, reviews, guides and more.