How to Root Nexus 7 Android 4.3 JWR66V JB and Install CWM
Android 4.3 JWR66V for Nexus devices has been released; for those of you who have already upgraded their Nexus via OTA, here is the root tutorial. Nexus 7 users who updated to this latest Android 4.3 OS manually can also use this guide to root Nexus 7 on Android 4.3 JWR66V Jelly Bean and also install CWM recovery tool.
Prerequisites to check before you root Nexus 7 Android 4.3 JWR66V JB & install CWM:
- Download and install USB drivers for ASUS Nexus 7 in your computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode from developer menu.
- Backup any important data before going forward for the tutorial.
- Ensure that your ASUS Nexus 7 carries more than 70% of charge.
Note: this tutorial is specifically tailored to ASUS Nexus 7; so please do not try it on other variants. Also note that your tablet should be on Android 4.3 JWR66V OS – check our tutorial on How to Update Nexus 7 to Android 4.3 JWR66V JB Factory Image.
How to root Nexus 7 Android 4.3 JWR66V JB:
Required files: download Android SDK from Android Developers and install with USB drivers. Download Fastboot and extract its contents in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory – create if not already there. Also download SuperSU v1.43 (UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip). Download the recovery tool; CWM Recovery 184.108.40.206 (OR TWRP 220.127.116.11) and copy / paste it in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.
- Connect your Nexus 7 with computer and copy the SuperSU zip file to the sdcard of your Nexus 7 tablet.
- Switch off ASUS Nexus 7 and enter into fastboot mode: press Volume Down and Power keys together for a few seconds until you see the menu.
- Now navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt: Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-grouper.img.
- Once done, select RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter into Recovery Mode.
- Now scroll down to flash zip from SD card and select it using the Power button. Follow it with choose zip from sdcard.
- Locate the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip file – copied earlier to your SD card – and select it. Confirm installation on the next screen to initiate installation procedure.
- Once the process completes, go to +++++Go Back and reboot your tablet by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Awesome! You have rooted your Nexus 7 on Android 4.3 JWR66V Jelly Bean OS and also installed the CWM recovery tool. In your apps list, check for the SuperSU to verify.