How to Disable Camera Shutter Sound on Android – For Both Rooted & Unrooted Devices
While notification rings are a good way to learn about incoming messages, texts sent, email received etc, there are times when we don’t want them. For those moments, Silent mode is used. However, on some Android devices, Silent mode does not mute the camera shutter sound. Although there are devices like HTC One and Z1 which have a option in the camera settings to turn the shutter sound off, some devices even lack that feature.
To mute the shutter sound on Android devices which do not offer the feature – here are some ways to help you mute your camera sound. This guide has methods for both the rooted and unrooted Android devices.
How to turn off camera shutter sound on unrooted devices:
To mute your Android device, you no more need to have your device rooted. XDA dev providence’ app named Camera Mute was originally developed to mute the annoying sound of camera on Galaxy Note 3. However, this app is working on both the stock camera app and the Samsung Galaxy devices. A few devices from other OEMs can also use this app to disable the camera shutter sound. Android devices on which Camera Mute app is working are these:
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 & Galaxy Note 3
- Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy Grand
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
- Lenovo P780
- LG G2
- Huawei Ascend D1 XL
This app does not require root access as it temporarily enables silent mode on the device when you launch the stock camera app on your device. To disable camera shutter sound on unrooted Android devices, download this app, copy the Apk to your device and then install it.
To use: open the app drawer, launch Camera Mute and enable it. Ta da!
Download link: CameraMuteV1_2.apk
How to mute camera shutter sound on rooted Android devices:
Beside using the app above, there are a few other ways to mute camera shutter sound if you have got the root privilege on your Android device. Here are some ways:
- Install a mod to mute camera sound. You will find an Xposed module to turn off shutter sound.
- Install a custom ROM that already has a mute shutter sound feature.
- You can also install an app that mutes camera sound. Ultimate Sound Control and Camera Sound Off! are some good ones!
- There also are some third-party camera apps that let you capture pictures without shutter sound. Try Quite Camera, Silent Camera, and Apps Like These.
- You can also modify file names on the device system to mute camera shutter sound. This method requires a Root Explore App on your Android device. Here is how:
- Open root explorer app
- Navigate to system > media > audio > ui
- Tap on mount r/w and scroll down to Shutter.ogg and rename it to Shutter.ogg.bak
- Now rename Shutter_multiple.ogg to Shutter_multiple.ogg.bak
- That’s it!