Homebound Trailer Shows the Dangers of Being Alone in Deep Space
Space, where no one can hear you violently burn up in Earth’s atmosphere. Quixel just announced that their intense space-survival VR game, Homebound, is coming to HTC Vive and Oculus Rift later this month.
Homebound is being billed as the ‘most beautiful and spine-chilling VR experience to date.’ You play an astronaut who needs to make it back to Earth after a series of ever-increasingly catastrophic events in deep space. You need to work with your ship’s AI and figure out a way to get back home in a space ship that is set to violently crashland on Earth. No pressure.
The look for Homebound is inspired by real-life spacecraft like the SpaceX Dragon module and International Space Station. The team had access to actually parts from NASA and SpaceX to use for the game’s art assets.
Here’s a feature list you can look forward to checking out in Homebound:
- VR Compatibility: Both HTC Vive and Oculus Rift support (Only Vive support at Launch)
- Motion Controller/Gamepad/Mouse+Keyboard Support: Play however you like (Only Motion Controller at launch)
- 3 beautiful levels to experience: Deep space, Earth’s atmosphere & Earth
- Time Attack: Beat your own personal best or challenge your friends’ scores
- 10-30 minutes of gameplay: Perfect for parties, or a short break from reality
- Great replayability: Find new secrets, items, interactive objects – and ways to die
- Freeroam Mode: Fly around in and explore the environments at your own pace
- Built with Unreal Engine 4: VR has never been more beautiful
Quixel is a Swedish games and tech studio that’s worked on bleeding edge graphical tools (Quixel Megascans & Suite 2) that were used in blockbuster games and movies like The Jungle Book. The studio’s tools have also been used by NASA, Telsa, and ILM.
Homebound is due to crash-land on HTC Vive and Oculus Rift February 16th.